public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballet Examination Results
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 3:29 pm 

rather odd to see these posted in the newspaper, especially with such young candidates - not that it would happen with candidates of any age in australia....<BR> <A HREF="http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,501553a2022,FF.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,501553a2022,FF.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ballet Examination Results
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 3:42 pm 

Do you think printing this in a newspaper is a good idea Grace? I am not sure........<P>Would there be some children omitted - and therefore the entire world (their world certainly) would know that the child didn't make it? <P>I rather like one post I saw in another thread in which it was said that the teacher never told the rest of the class how each student had done. Each student learned of his/her resutls - but that was all. I thought that was very wise of that teacher.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 4:27 pm 

no. i don't think it is a good idea at all. i'm very surprised to see this in this new zealand paper.<P>refering back to that other teacher (i can't remember where it was), i had a problem with that, though - because i took it to mean the teacher didn't give out the results, but just told them they had passed. maybe i misunderstood - or maybe i am thinking of another post at a board where the student said her teacher didn't give them the result, just told them they had passed.<P>this is not actually acceptable practice to the various organisations that supply the examiner, reason being that the PARENTS have purchased the service of the examining body (the teacher is just an intermediary), so the school/teacher has no right to withold any information.<P>however, HOW publicly that information is displayed is quite another matter, obviously. it is never intended as public information, but as a private purchase, if you like, between the parent (or the older student) and the examining body.<P>in recent years i learned from an older colleague that the best way for me to deal with exam results, is to put them each in an envelope (the comment form and certificate) and hand them out at the end of class, with the instructions they are not to be opened till you get home.<P>previous to that, i handed them out, with the parents there, at the end of class - but i was bothered that sometimes instant comparison took place - with some children - instead of instant satisfaction and feeling of achievement. so i took up the envelope concept, to encourage them to feel privately pleased, and to have a rewarding moment with their parents (at least for a while, before they ring each other up and gloat!).<P>mind you, some couldn't care less, and are just sweetly happy to pass - that surprised me the most, with the very young ones:-<BR>A) that they would be in any doubt they would pass - because there is no question with my school and with the levels and the syllabus i put them in for - they really cannot fail, and they get plenty of reassurance, though admittedly i do not say to them 'you WILL pass no matter what you do' - because that would not be true either! and<BR>B) that the various levels of extra reward mean nothing to some. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 7:55 pm 

If that was me, Grace - I would probably handle it the way you do - in an envelope - to be opened at home. <P>Sometimes I think that the ones who seem to care the least - actually care very much. We all handle success and failure differently. Some care very deeply - but don't quite know how to respond once success comes to them - especially as children. We try to teach children to be somewhat modest and yet they get thrilled, and that creates a conflict. Most of us are conflicted when we are complimented, I think. Pleased - and yet - trying to not to over react - excited and yet trying to appear modest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2000 2:50 pm 

I remember our local paper used to run the results of music examinations (piano, etc.). I can't remember if they only published the top results or not; the one year my daughter did an exam (with a very nice result) appeared to be the year the paper stopped the practice.<P>In retrospect it was probably a wise idea to discontinue the publishing of results (which in music here are similar to dance: pass, honours, First Class Honours, and Distinction I believe). I had wondered how the paper got these data in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 2:39 am 

actually basheva, my little story about some children not seeming to care was prompted by a sweet experience one year, when i did a bit of a lead-up speech for the benefit of kids and parents, explaining the various levels of passes- PASS, CREDIT, COMMENDED, HIGHLY COMMENDED, HONOURS (all had got Honours or HC, so i wanted them to appreciate HOW well they had done..). anyway, after they were handed out, and the certificates and medals duly admired, one girl said impatiently: "But did we PASS?" All the parents smiled....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 7:10 am 

That child will go far.........LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 1:07 pm 

I took ballet lessons in NZ 25 years ago. From what I can recall, all my ballet examination results were put into the paper...I think I still have a copy of them somewhere in amongst all my old records and papers. At the time, of course, this didn't seem an unusual practise; it's only now, reading all the other posts, that it does seem quite an unusual thing to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 2:12 pm 

maybe its a new zealand thing? hopefully one of them will tell us --- tip_toes? Image i didn't realise you were from NZ, lisa.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 3:25 pm 

I was in New Zealand for a two week vacation - what a magnificent country and a very friendly people......and yes, I did give myself a barre everyday in whatever hotel we happened to find ourselves. I especially loved Rotarua (forgive me if my spelling of it is mistaken - its been a while)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 12:30 am 

Grace, your idea of giving the reports closed in an envelope is great and from the next year I will surely adopt it. Thank you very much for the input. Image Image Image<BR>Giving the results after the exams has always been a problem for me. Usually, I give the results to the children, without saying the vote. As all the RAD reports are written in English and Italian children don't know this language I have not many problems. Then I give a note with the translation of the report to be read by the parents. If in the class there's someone who got unsuccessful, I talk individually with every student and her parents. antoP.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 12:04 pm 

At my younger daughter's dance school exams are given near the end of the "dance school year", and the students are no longer in class when the results come out. The teacher telephones the parents with the results, and then we pick up the certificate and comment sheet at a later date.<P>It's probably helpful that results are out when the children are on holidays...by the time they are back the exams are all but forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 2:07 pm 

Finally, I have time to reply to this !<P>It does seem to be a trend which has developed in this country. Certainly examination results of music , drama and dance do appear in the papers. Area Organisers are normally responsible for this , especially in the main daily's. However some teachers who live out of these areas do have permission to publish their own results.<P>The problem I have with this is. Susie who may have passed with a commended would have done a great deal more work than Sally who passed with Highly commended due to ability. Susie getting the Commended was a far greater achievement and worked to the best of her ability - now if Sally had done more work and applied herself she may very well have been awarded an Honours. <P>I do not publish results and also I put the report cards and Certificates in an envelope. Parents do compare, do look over someones shoulder etc when in actual fact it is the privilege of the student and his/her mother to keep the result private if they so wish.<P>When the RAD had visible marks shown on the card, if was an absolute nightmare ! and I admit I was one of the teachers who voted against having markings shown.<P>Some students are so lazy their potential is latent. Some students work so hard they reach their full potential and in an examination the result of a Pass or a Pass Plus may be excellent for them considering body type and physical ability. To have this result published beside Sally who didn;t work very hard at all yet received a better result is a put down the hard workers don't need !<P>I will most certainly bring this up with the 'powers that be' at a meeting in January.<BR>Thank you for making me think this through more clearly.

Profile E-mail