public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: character dance
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2001 3:35 pm 

Maggie:<P>I guess that what we HERE need to figure out is why when some of the kids graduate from the Choreographic Institute, SOME are sent to Folk Companies, and some are sent to ballet companies as "character dancers".<P>The difference seems very obvious to my daughter and her teacher (Hungarian Artists Academy)but is "sorta kinda" lost on me Image<P>"I'm" EXCUSED. "I" never danced, so it's up to you guys to figure it out.

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2001 4:16 pm 

This is great reading--I never expected so many replies! Image I meant character dance as in the polonaise, mazurka, czardas, etc. but understand that there are also character dances in which special roles (character roles) are given to dancers who fit the physical and/or comic component needed. I'm still curious as to when the child should be allowed in proper character shoes, and if anyone has guidelines for that assessment. Most students in our area are not aware of character dance beyond the version of a specific dancer taking on a specific role; but I would like to expose my students to the extra elements this resource could provide for their dancing. Does anyone have any suggestions on reading or specific syllabus to recommend?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2001 4:17 pm 

Jane, just my guess. They must have been stronger at character than ballet, as far as the Choreographic Institute was concerned. When I was way younger, as far as the American way goes, (I believe we're peers) One of the girls I danced with, and not a bad ballet dancer, ended up dancing with Matteo's company, an "ethnic" dance company in NY, because she was better suited for it. Another girl, who was a very good ballet dancer, chose over joining a ballet company, to join a world class spanish dance company.<P>I don't think we should look at these other forms of dance as a leftover options because you "can't get into a ballet company." I'm not implying you suggested this, Jane, it just came up in my thoughts as I was posting this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2001 4:48 pm 

Oh no offense.<P>I think that within ballet there is a "distinction". Epecially in the European disciplines. And America is well, "just us Yanks" and we do everything differently.<P>My daughter just called me (about something else) and I asked her "what is the difference in a character dancer and a folk dancer"???<P>She "made noises" like her ballet teacher does when the subject is brought up. But what "I" got out of her answer is "most character dancers can double as corps members etc.". Folks dancers can't always dance as ballet dancers.<P>Some folk dancers have studied ballet, but not all folk dancers have studied ballet.<P>I don't think the other kinds of dance are "left over". Not at all. <P>I can pretty much TELL you that if there was a big interest in Chinese Opera in the States, my kid would be interested in "hoppin on board" Image<p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 07, 2001).]

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2001 5:20 pm 

Well, I went and had supper - come back and there are all these wonderful posts to read!! <P>So, fortified with my own wonderful cooking (NOT) I am going to go out on a limb here and say what "character" and "folk/ethnic" dance means to me. <P>A character dance is the dance of a character- Von Rothbart (Swan Lake), Dr. Coppelius (Coppelia), the nurse (Romeo and Juliet), etc. Some great character dancers to my mind, are Frederick Franklin, Gerd Larsen, Valery Panov.<P>Looking in my book "A Dictonary of Ballet" by G.B.L. Wilson the definition for character dancer is: <P>"A dancer specializing in or particularly suited by build and aptitude to character dancing as opposed to a demi-caractere or a classical dancer." As I read this - in other words - a particular role. Or it could be several people doing the same dance in a particular role - as clowns, for example.<P>From Random House dictionary definition for "folk dance": "A dance that originated from and was transmitted through the common people." To me this means Irish dance, or Balinese, or a mazurka, or a czardas, or Flamenco , etc.<P>Maggie - anytime you want to go out and eat - I am ready , willing and able - heck with the leotard.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2001 5:31 pm 

So I guess that what we MIGHT be seeing here is that there is a difference in the definition of "character dance" and "character DANCER" (as in an "employable state") and that even THAT definition might vary from continent to continent.<P>My kid has tended to run in the "ex soviet" circles. So their definition might be very different from the Brits, or the Aussies or the folks here in the States.<P>At SAB they "did" little pieces from Union Jack, etc. in character class. So I guess portions of Stars and Stripes qualify too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 5:04 am 

This is interesting. At University of Utah, seems you can get a degree in Ballet w/an "emphasis" on Character.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.acs.utah.edu/GenCatalog/1004/deptdesc/balle.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.acs.utah.edu/GenCatalog/1004/deptdesc/balle.html</A> <P>From their "course descriptions"<P>2300 Character Dance (1) <BR>First semester of a two-semester sequence for departmental majors. Must be taken consecutively in the same academic year. Folk dance study based on ethnic (character) dances within a ballet performance context.<P>About the Character Ensemble<P>The Character Dance Emphasis in the Department of Ballet, University of Utah is one of the only programs of its kind in North<BR>America. This unique major emphasis was designed to offer students of ballet the opportunity to study a specialized art form.<BR>Character dance is based on traditional folk dance forms which have been stylized for the stage. These intricate stylizations<BR>require a much wider technical base than regular folk dance styles. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.ballet.utah.edu/performance/character_about.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.utah.edu/performance/character_about.html</A> <P>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 08, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 08, 2001).]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 7:22 am 

So - if I read that description correctly - the description of the University of Utah uses the words character dance and folk/ethnic dance interchangeably.<P>I am going to be stubborn and stick to the difference I see betwixt them - and as stated by the dictionaries.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 8:34 am 

Just to complicate matters or to illustrate that many dance terms mean what you want them to. The new 'Oxford Dictionary of Dance' (2000, Craine and Mackrell) states that the term 'character dance' covers national dances or folk, ethnic or rustic dances AND choreography 'specifically illustrating a character's function or occupation or by dancers portraying older figures and usually heavily reliant on mime.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 8:54 am 

You asked what age they start character dance. In RAD they start at grade one they are usually 7 or 8. They explain character dance as hungarian, russian, polish styles.<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 9:08 am 

Re shoes -- the RAD book and other books I have with pictures of very young students always show them in the low-heeled character shoe (it's about 1/2 inch) -- no Ann Reinking specials here. Something to keep in mind in case the children go to Leo's, etc. and come back with some t-strapped pumps from an unknowledgeable salesperson.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:21 am 

No Basheva, I think you and I use them interchangeably Image<P>The Univ of Ut makes a distinction. "BASED on, but not the SAME as".<P>And they make reference to the fact on their website, that this is a "renewed interest" in THE US, which insinuates that it is a "given" elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:43 am 

Well, I would say that I DON'T use them interchangeably - to me "character" is portraying a character whether it is Von Rothbart - or a dance for clowns.<P>Folk/ethnic is the cultural dance from a people's heritage. Ballet was once such a dance "balleto" from Italy. <P>I know that at the studio where I once taught the tap teacher (and a fine teacher she was, too) would not allow the children to wear high heeled tap or character shoes. I don't think she allowed that until they were in their teens and had shown a fair amount of technique. Not being either a jazz or tap teacher, myself, I can give no definition of what level that was - but even I could see they were quite adept.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:01 am 

This thread has been "fun" 'cause it makes you think of "examples".<P>The Royal Navy Jigs in Union Jack are more sytlized and intricate than sailors would noramlly perform them ("stylized and intricate" I lifted from the Univ. of UT page Image.<P>And the "Square Dance" and "Can Can" girls from Western Symphony were definitlely more stylized than the Square Dance you see performed in usual square dance demonstrations.<P>I kind of see what they mean about it being "folk dance sylized for ballet.) Same with Polkas. Sort of the same, but kind of different.<P>In any event, their website grabbed me enough that I read the whole thing.<P>And sent the link to a few kids Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:28 am 

That's a good point, Jane. Even professional level folk dance companies (as opposed to ballet companies doing folk) stylize the dances more than they would normally be.<P> As an example the Moiseyev Company in Russia - the originator Igor Moiseyev was Bolshoi trained. The Georgian Singers and Dancers (that I saw - you can find the critique under "Reviews") while perhaps (I don't know)are not ballet trained, certainly go well beyond what I suspect the expectations of how the dances are performed when done in village squares. <P><BR>

Profile E-mail