CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: things are learned....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 6:39 pm 

Hey all! Image<BR> Just thought I'd start a thread on the "lessons" you learned in ballet or whatever dance you take. And I don't mean a tendu, plie, or the technical stuff, but the things that you realize while taking dance, like what kind of bag with what kinds of stuff you need, or how to adapt to a teaching style, what to focus on in auditions, anything that you learned out of your ballet life... Hope you know what I mean and this isn't too confusing... ImageLOL<BR> ~reverances, <BR> technique_shoe<BR> (Anastasia)

Post subject: Re: things are learned....
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 2:12 am 

I learned quite a lot about how to handle trouble situations (like double appointments), and how to be aware of what i'm saying (and how to tell someone something i actually don't want, or don't dare to say, for example that i really HAVE to miss the dress rehearsal). And, ok this is a bit off topic and I know that, how not to step on someone's toes Image LOL<p>[This message has been edited by Anastasia (edited April 23, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 5:04 am 

I think that I learned (LOL) that constant change is good. New teachers, new combinations, new ideas, new ways to look at things. To hesitate to carve things in stone. To not assume things from a surface appearance. <P>But those lessons, for me anyway, are a daily work in progress. And lots of slips backwards.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited April 23, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 5:55 pm 

I think that I learned-and am still learning- how to slow down and to listen. I am somewhat musically inclined, so when we do excercises and choreography, I realized how far ahead I was of everyone, simply because my brain just knew whta was going to happen in the music. So a lesson I am constantly being taught is to actually listen to the music and wait for it to happen before I move, and it applies directly to almost everything else. Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 6:34 pm 

I"d like to share some words of wisdom my 81 year old improvisation teacher once said (and yes she is still dancing! & performing, she was a dancer w/ Hanya Holm's company in the 40s) She said (of dancing with others and mind you this is for improvisation) that dancing with others teaches you life skills like compromise in a marriage or conversation. She said you may enter into a conversation with a definate idea of what you want to say but the other person has to talk too, its an exchange otherwise you can't really consider it a conversation..the same way with a marriage ...you learn to budge a bit..to lean one person's way in addition to your own.. and alter your own ideas or how to incorporate them..I'm not phrasing this as lovely as she did..but often times I think of things she has said in dance class when I"m out on the street or in a conversation w/ someone and realize, YES that's it! Dance teaches me life skills!<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 7:21 pm 

One thing I've learned in my past and present years of dancing is Self-Confidence!! To forget about what I might look like to others, or forget about what others might think, to have faith and strength in my abilities and way of learning and to know that ok I didn't master it right off but in time I will!! and really to just Enjoy Dancing!!!! <P><BR>Sincerly,<BR>Jan<P>------------------<BR>Teaching Today Touches Tomorrow!<BR>

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 9:25 am 

I think that I have learned that competition makes you work harder. I always work harder when I am around betterr people. Also, being a perfectionist isnt bad!!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 12:13 pm 

Misa - what you said about a conversation with others through life, is very true - it is like a marriage. And as an old married lady, I can tell you that marriage also means courtesy.<P>When you are in dance class one has to learn these courtesies - always leave room for the other person, don't crowd them out, let them dance in front (at least once in a while!!), wait for your turn, and don't show up the other person. All of which is true in other situations in life too.<P>And, I think that dance class also teaches us that the true meaning of dance is to give it away to others. Not only as a teacher, but as a dancer. Offer it as a gift - open yourself while you are dancing - with your arms, with your smile - and give it away.<P>It will mean even more to you if you give it away.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 6:04 pm 

Ohmigosh Basheva!<BR> Sooooo true~You really "hit the spot"LOL Image<BR>That IS what dance is all about, sharing the beauty and art of it with others!Yes!<BR> ~reverances, <BR> technique_shoe<BR> (Anastasia)