CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why dancers dance?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:31 am 

In the thread 'to dance not just do', Basheva said dancers dont dance for the money, and i am guessing that they dont dance because they like the injuries, that are associated with it.<BR>So i was wondering why do dancers actually dance?<BR>Thanx.<BR>

Post subject: Re: Why dancers dance?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 6:46 am 

Elizabeth - you are just jock full of wonderful thoughtful questions!! I can't speak for others - but I can speak for myself. <P>Dance for me was always about the music - without the music it doesn't exist. But it is possible for me to just dance to the music in my head - and I have done this when I needed to do a barre and there was no music available.<P>It is a form of expression - of sharing something inside - something I need to give away and therefore increase within myself. When I see a sunset my eyes and mind are involved. But when I dance everything that I am is involved. I am in another world entirely. There have been several times when people who know me well, and have seen me dance, have said to me - "You become another person" - so I know that this "other person" that lives inside me, comes out and is visible to others. <P>I am not sure I can explain what happens to me any clearer. It would be interesting to hear how other dancers feel about "what we do".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:24 pm 

The reason why I dance - and it hit me when i was at school around the age of 11 and was having some trouble with bullies - was that for the time I was in the dance class I was me with no worries no cares. even now it is a great stress reliever and takes your mind off almost evrything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:34 pm 

You are so very right Joanne. Once when a member of my immediate family was in intensive care in the hospital - in between visiting him I still went to ballet class. It kept me sane and gave me strength.<P>The world just goes away - it's almost like being in a time warp.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:17 pm 

Everyone has their own reasons for dancing, and its interesting to find them out. <BR>I actually have many reasons for dancing. <BR>One of these reasons are that you can 'excape' just as Basheva and Joanne described. I wont go into the other reasons, as they are just TOO complicated.