CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Becoming a Dance Teacher...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 2:02 pm 

I am very interested in becoming a dance teacher and was wondering if any of you could help. What sort of Program do you have to take at college? How long is it? What sort of entrance requirements are there? What sort of tuition cost incurred? <BR>I am looking primarily for information in Western Canada. Thnaks in advance for your help!<BR> Shelley<BR>

Post subject: Re: Becoming a Dance Teacher...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 3:27 pm 

welcome shelly! Image very nice to see you here. i will defer to rabbit, as she is closer to your territory! (i am in australia.) <P>we have had some discussions about this, as it seems that the answer in america and canada is somewhat different to what it would be in australia, or in england....<P>rabbit?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 6:05 pm 

I will defer to Rabbit, too. Then give my opinion. Welcome Shelly - wonderful of you to join us !!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 8:24 pm 

Hi Shelly:<P>I will try here to give you a little direction. There is not a lot of choice of programs when considering a career in teaching, there are three basic routs you can go,<P> 1) Mentor-ship with a good teacher, such as can be provided through the ADAPT syllabus. They offer a teachers mentor-ship training coarse which is fairly new yet it is an accredited coarse in Canada, for more information they have a website that is easy to find under search. With the ADAPT route you would need to be familiar with their style and have. a good technical base from which to start. The ADAPT teachers coarse would prepare you well for teaching Jazz and Tap , It does not offer a teachers coarse for Ballet.<BR> I believe the RAD has a similar coarse for their syllabus & again you would need to be familiar with their methods as well as having a strong technical base if it is Ballet that is your primary interest.<P>2) University of coarse, this seldom approach dance from a teaching stand point so working under an experienced teacher and gaining some practical experience while taking this coarse of study is something that I would highly recommend, luckily we have one of the best University dance programs right here in western Canada at the University of Calgary.<P>3) What I do highly recommend is that you look into the teachers courses available through the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School and also the one from the National Ballet of Canada. I will give a little more detail and a contact address' below. Sadly we have nothing that equals this in Western Canada<P><BR>Royal Winnipeg Ballet School Teachers coarse<P>The Royal Winnipeg Teachers' Course is an intensive program that enriches knowledge and provides the skills required for a career in dance teaching. Students study specific elements of technique to develop their ability to teach dance with confidence and sensitivity. The material studied in the fall/winter session is specific to age group. Child development is an integral part of the course.<P>The course is offered as a two or three year program. <BR>The curriculum includes <BR>creative movement, <BR>pre-ballet, character, <BR>music, <BR>voice, <BR>eurythmics, <BR>pedagogy, <BR>applied anatomy and physiology.<BR> Cecchetti classes are offered from pre-primary to advanced.<P>Examinations may lead to an Associate designation in the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing - Cecchetti Branch. Graduates also have further opportunities to upgrade their skills and standing within the Cecchetti Society. Acceptance is by audition only.<P>For more information, contact Johanne Gingras <BR> jgingras@rwb.org<P>******************<P> The National Ballet of Canada three-year Teacher Training Program is available for adults 18 years and over who have completed Grade 12, have considerable dance background and wish to become ballet teachers. This is a full-time program, from September to June. Admission to the three-year program is through auditions held annually in centres across Canada, followed by a four-day assessment seminar held at the School in the spring.<P>The curriculum includes a broad range of dance-related subjects: NBS Prevocational and Vocational curricula as well as Royal Academy of Dancing and Cecchetti Syllabi;<BR>Curriculum includes:<BR>anatomy and applied physiology<BR> body conditioning<BR> child development<BR> creative dance and drama;<BR>dance composition<BR>dance school management<BR>history of art; history of dance<BR> history of music<BR> modern dance<BR> music for dance<BR> national dance<BR> pointe work<BR>psychology<BR> repertoire<BR> teaching techniques and theories.<P> In addition, students observe regular ballet classes and are given the opportunity to assist in NBS classes.<P>Students are responsible for their own accommodation and meals. Fees do not include dance uniform, dance exam fees, books, or academic supplies.<P> For a brochure contact the Registrar<BR>registrar@nbs-enb.on.ca<P>I do hope this answers some questions for you and wish you great luck with your future goals

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 9:55 pm 

thanks very much, rabbit! Image<P>shelley, can you possibly fill us in a little more about what styles of dance interest you, at what levels, and what kind of teaching you hope to do in the future?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:33 am 

Thankyou sooooo much for your help everyone! I am mainly looking at teaching jazz, ballet and maybe (???) tap, at a beginner - intermediate level. I would like to teach in a local studio or open my own someday. <P>I was trained using the Adapt syllabus so I will definitely check into that. Unfortunately going to Manitoba for training is not an option :c( but I will look into U of C, since I live in Alberta anyways!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 9:11 am 

Hi everyone, my question is the same, but with a geographical adjustment - I'm in the USA. Any new answers? Image<BR>Summer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 12:30 pm 

Hi summer; good to hear from you!!!-do you want to teach in a private studio, high school, university , what? My advice/answer will depend on what your preferences are: also how long have you been dancing and what, if any professional experience do you have?<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited October 29, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 2:44 pm 

Summer - hello !! I would say that if you want to teach in a college or high school setting in the US you should definitely seek a degree. It is true that sometimes teachers without a degree are allowed to be on the faculty if they have enough field experience - but if you want to hold tenure and get the full employment benefits you absolutely need a degree.<P>As for teaching in a studio - you need to find a teacher that you really admire and learn as much as you can from that teacher. See if he/she will mentor you. If that teacher is a Cecchetti teacher or RAD you will find this mentoring very helpful to enter these societies. But even if you don't wish to pursue teaching a set syllabus you need an experienced teacher to guide and mentor you. <P>Get all the experience you can as a student, as a performer and then see if you can become a teacher's aide. There is one advantage to getting private studio experience and that is you will meet all age groups. When you teach on a college campus you pretty much meet only one age group. <P>Hope this is some help to you - please ask if you have any more questions!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 9:49 pm 

I guess it might have been helpful if I'd included a little more information about myself! Image Oops!<BR>Well, I'm 20 years old, have danced regularly on and off (now there's an oxy-moron - let me clarify. I've taken classes once a week since I was 12, with two single years of absence in there somewhere), am not on pointe - I lived in a very rural area which made it very difficult for me to get to classes, and my absences didn't make the best impression on my instructor. I *love* dancing, and will very soon be in a situation where I will able to take classes regularly, without the absences I used to have. I am very dedicated to dancing, and work hard at it.<BR>As for what kind of teaching I would like to do - well, that depends on what I *can* do. I've been told on another board that because of my late start, I have virtually no chance of instructing at the pre-professional dance level, which I'm okay with, though I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind it. (She didn't explain much.) To teach at a college or university would be wonderful, and probably a bit more stable, what with the benefits. But I would be just as happy teaching younger children to do grand jetes. Image Any suggestions as to where I should aim?<BR>Hope this helps in your choice of advice. Image (Which I greatly appreciate, by the way. Image Thanks Image )<BR> Summer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 3:45 am 

Summer, I'm afraid that your curriculum is a bit incomplete up to now. Basheva's advice are perfect: before deciding to become a teacher you should study a well developed syllabus with an experienced teacher (I'm afraid that teaching grands jetés to children wouldn't be a good idea). And as you are already 20, you should study almost every day. It's not enough to know all the ballet steps, it's absolutely necessary to know how to teach them and this is not as easy as it seems.<BR>You should attend a lot of teaching courses, above all about methodology. Teaching ballet is a very challenging job and noone could improvise it! It's fine that you love dancing but you must also love teaching and be prepared to work very hard. HTH. antoP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 6:02 am 

Summer - Before I say anything else - about the other place where you were told you couldn't teach - tbat it "was too late". DON'T LET ANYONE, ANYONE, EVER DISCOURAGE YOU. People tried to discourage me too, and I started very late. You are in control of what happens - as I told myself - I can't control the time I missed - but I CAN CONTROL what I do with the time I have in front of me. I can control how hard I work - and so can you.<P>Teaching ballet is a very unique experience. You not only have to love to teach, you have to adore WHAT you are teaching. But beyond all that - you almost have to get inside the bodies of your students to feel "where" they are and then you have to get inside their mind to tell them "how" to get where they need to be.<P>A good teacher can "feel" the student's balance and placement and where the student is mentally - and problems - and assets. It's knowledge plus intuition. <P>Chose your path and then follow your heart - work hard - have faith - and if you want it - it will be yours. <P>A formula not only for teaching but for life, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 10:38 am 

Well, I think what I will do is, after I move, begin taking classes as often as I can, mention to my teacher that that is the goal I am working towards, and go from there. Thank you for your encouragement and your advice, guys. Image I really appreciate it.<BR>Summer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 10:45 am 

Well, I think what I will do is, after I move, begin taking classes as often as I can, mention to my teacher that that is the goal I am working towards, and go from there. Thank you for your encouragement and your advice, guys. Image I really appreciate it.<BR>Summer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 12:42 pm 

Summer...good luck..I can't really add anything to the advice above===all very good advice, by the way....don't let anyone deny you your dreams....willpower, above all else, is the key...find a good teacher (shop around a bit, if you can), one with good credentials, reference and experience and tell them you would like them to be your mentor....don't give up...keep on keepin on!!