CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer Programs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:43 pm 

I've wanted to attend a residency program since I was 12, but my family is unable to afford it. I'd really like to go to even just a summer program, but that too is very expensive. How do you all afford to go to these things? Do you have any advise for a dancer in need?

Post subject: Re: Summer Programs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:48 pm 

many schools/programs offer scholarships: you can inquire to the registrar or financial aid person...if not that, then try "work study" where you can help do certain tasks for the program, and get some scholarship in return. If not that, maybe you can start now doing babysitting, chores, odd jobs now, around your community and in your neighborhood...you'd be surprised how much you can save...also,,,why not try a fundraiser letter? compose or have someone help you compose a nice letter to some civic organizations like your school PTA, Rotary Club, Woman's Club, etc.....civic groups often love to help young people who have talent and need assistance to pursue their dreams...in fact, that's why many of them exist!! Good luck and don't give up--"where there's awill, there's a way"!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:50 pm 

Bea - may I ask the area in which you live? Perhaps if we knew that someone here would have some further ideas to help you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 3:59 am 

great suggestions trina & basheva. hope to hear more from you, Bea. i can understand your really wanting to do this. Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 12:48 pm 

I live in northern Illinois. I'm about 2 hours from Chicago and 2 hours from Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 5:08 pm 

Bea - the first thing I would do is to talk to your ballet teacher - he/she might have some ideas for you on scholarships that are available. Sometimes the studio will let some of the students do some work around the studio - like assisting or helping to clean up instead of paying in full for lessons. Then that money could be saved up for a summer program.<P>You could also contact your church and perhaps someone there could point you in a direction to earn some money - or get a scholarship. As Trina says many, many civic groups offer scholarships to young people for activities like you would like to do. <P>I don't know how old you are - but perhaps an after school job at MacDonald's or some place like that - if your parents agree, of course. Look in the local newspaper and see the want-ads - sometimes there is a mother who needs some help watching and taking care of young children - with your parents permission of course. <P>If you ask people you will be surprised how much help you will get - you have to let people know that you are serious and are willing to work. Sometimes a civic group will pay half if you earn the other half. You might need a letter of recommendation from your ballet teacher. Write to a couple of summer dance programs and tell them your problem and include the letter from your ballet teacher and see what they have to say.<P>You could also talk to your counselor at school - lots of times they have advice on earning money - or scholarships - even though it is for ballet. It never hurts to ask.<P>But, you should do nothing without the knowledge and consent of your parents.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited October 25, 2000).]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:10 am 

so Bea, do you know what programs are available near you, and which of these you would like to do?