public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finis Jhung
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 8:02 am 

Image <P>Finis Jhung is a ballet teacher who seems to have a fine reputation, who is actively visible online with advice and products for sale. (his NYC class schedule is here at this site also.)<P>here is his site, where you are bound to find something of interest -<BR> <A HREF="http://www.finisjhung.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.finisjhung.com/</A> <P>there are lots of videos for sale, but not all of the site is commercial.<P>here are some tips on barre work -<BR> <A HREF="http://www.dancepages.com/jhung1.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dancepages.com/jhung1.htm</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Finis Jhung
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 9:07 am 

Good site, Grace. There is a page on the isometric plie. I have been teaching this using the pilates reformer for a while. I break it down even further with the help of the equipment. It's interesting to see the gestalt when the dancer finds out what a real plie is! Once upon a time I had to learn it myself!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 10:12 am 

Maggie - I am not sure if you read this thread - it was titled "Questions - Questions" in which Grace and I have a discussion on plies. It begins with my October 9th post and continues down through<BR>several of our posts. If you didn't see it I thought you might find it of interest.<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000161.html" TARGET=_blank>QUESTIONS - QUESTIONS</A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 10:52 am 

From living in New York, I'ver heard that Finis has a real following amongst dancers. People just love him...his classes are quite rigorous...2 hrs. long minimum...he repeats exercises many times. I'd be interested to see about this isometric plie stuff?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 3:55 pm 

yes, maggie - i am another who can confess to doing pliés for many many many years (decades!) without understanding how usefully they COULD be done....i think really not many dancers at all, do USE their pliés to full advantage - isn't it strange, when you think that it is one of the very first most basic movements taught - if not THE first? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 12:52 pm 

Just a bit of info. Finis's classes in NYC are packed. Some times 40 dancers + in class.<BR>I never studied with him as I stuck to "homier studios" where the student to teacher ratio was much smaller, at least for ballet where i felt i needed more attention. He is also an example of what great marketing can accomplish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 12:53 pm 

*<p>[This message has been edited by j (edited December 31, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 1:43 pm 

Are you blowing kisses to us now, j?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 5:13 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...an example of what great marketing can accomplish <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yes, i got that impression..in his case, at least there does seem to be substance to back up the image, from what i hear...<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited December 31, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 6:59 am 

yes, happy new ! actually my post came up twice and that was my creative deletion!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 9:59 pm 

It's a good site isn't it? I read the stuff on isometric plie and it makes sense. Has anyone seen any of his videotape 'do along' classes? Living in Oz, getting to a class isn't possible (and such a big class wouldn't be likely to suit me anyway). What do people think of using one of his videos to supplement regular classes? By the way, if I was to do that I'd use a mirror to keep an eye out for things that feel ok but look wrong! I would have to be convinced that it was a good idea and that I would get a lot of use out of a tape because with international postage and the exchange rate it would be a pricey video!<P>Danni Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2001 3:46 pm 

i'v seen posts on danceart.com praising his video instruction tapes. maybe you could inquire there on the Ballet Board.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 4:33 pm 

danni - i did see someone at another board wanting to on-sell one of these videos, because they had got the 'wrong' one as a christmas gift! i have suggested that person might offer it here, but i WAS amazed at the cost - apparently even US$45 represents a $20 saving, if that post is to be believed...that's a huge cost for a video (about Aust $ 150)....maybe they weren't talking US $ when they posted...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 7:50 pm 

Yup - I fear they were! They're $60US for the format (PAL) we Aussies can use. That's why I'd have to hear RAVE reviews. I saw that post too - but it was for a class just on turning or something and I want a general one. Probably wasn't in the right format either.<BR>Danni