public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Touching/ Waiver?/ Contagion!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2000 2:51 pm 

well i confess i had great difficulty remembering what the subject of this thread WAS!<P>but what an interesting discussion has ensued between you two!<P>lice: yuk! thank heavens i don't teach little kids - yet another reason NOT to!<P>what about warts? i have some schildren with lots of them...on their hands - how contagious are they? (OK - its not the subject of this thread, but....) <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2000 2:56 pm 

Christina - with all that I put into it - all the hotel rooms in which I moved furniture so I could give myself a barre, all the places I have practiced to stares and sometimes laughter, all the years that I fell into bed hardly remembering the day, all the pizzas I watched my friends eat, all the teachers who screamed at me, all the times I cried as I drove home, all the performances I wished I could just do over, all the sprains, strains and pains, all the shoes I wore that didn't quite work, all the mornings I put on my shoes while they were still damp from the night before ---<P>I don't ever regret it at all - what a wondrous trip it's been.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2000 2:57 pm 

Warts as I understand it are part of the herpes virus - I think it is somewhat contagious..........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2000 3:22 pm 

YIKES to all of this! I think the worse that happened to me was teaching that Saturday morning children's class. (You all know those, they exist in every dance school) We were doing an exercise where everyone holds hands in a circle to do some step or other. The little girl whose hand I held had had pancakes for breakfast...with plenty of syrup still on her sticky little fingers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2000 3:29 pm 

I have found even worse stuck to a ballet barre after the children had left it.........ick - ack - yuk -

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 9:50 am 

Yeah but didya ever have to get the wet vac after you know what happened?<P>"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"<P>And Grace, my apologies for sinking this thread to the lowest common denominator. I'll make a new year's resolution to be far more productive in this regard -- hey, there's a new thread, what do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 1:14 pm 

Well to bring this thread down even further, warts are a virus, but I don't think they're part of the herpes family and they are *very* contagious which is why kids pass them around so well. I ended up with a wart on my heel after a long round of school tours where I danced barefoot in gymnasiums ad naseum. It was quite horrible. <P>Scabies are another virus that gets passed around a lot, you can tell you have them if the space between your fingers on the hand is red and itchy. They went around the university I went to, mostly among the actors who were especially touchy feely.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 3:15 pm 

well, i HAVE known teachers who had to clean the toilets after teaching, since they lease the halls and must leave them in the state they find them, etc....it depressed me terribly to think that this is what i was coming into, if i continued as a private school teacher....<P>and no, i've never had to get out the wetvac, but i certainly know what you mean. i did have that happen to one small child when i was examining, but between the watching teacher and myself, the child was whisked out and back in again, so fast even SHE didn't notice what had happened.....she smiled all the way through...so the only trauma was to the mother, apparently...<P>i'll watch out for those warts - thanks all...<P>and maggie - you've had it easy! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 4:46 pm 

It is not only be messy, inconvenient or itchy - it can be deadly - or so we once feared. <P>Everyone of my partners except one, is dead from AIDS. Back in the 80's it was not quite clear how the virus was transmitted - body fluids could also have meant sweat. And, heaven knows we all sweated enough and touched in partnering - and shared barres, etc. It was quite scarry. And sad. <p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited December 27, 2000).]

Profile E-mail