public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hypoxia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 11:08 am 

I would be interested to hear if any professional dancer has tried intermittent hypoxia therapy and what they thought of it.<P>Hypoxic training does seem to have been beneficial for some athletes.

Post subject: Re: Hypoxia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 5:20 am 

well, i'm not aware of this, but i'm always interested in learning ..... it does sound a bit dramatic, though!<P>info:<BR> <A HREF="http://www2.gol.com/users/cambint/hypoxia/sport.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www2.gol.com/users/cambint/hypoxia/sport.html</A> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The obtained data allowed the following conclusion to be made: Combined Interval Hypoxic and traditional sports training is more effective than sports training alone. IHT is an effective substitution for mountain climate training. It allows the adaptation to low oxygen pressure in the inhaled air in a shorter period of time. IHT increases the general and the special working capacity of athletes, improves their physical fitness, normalises their cardiac activity and improves their psychophysiological state.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www2.gol.com/users/cambint/hypoxia/overview.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www2.gol.com/users/cambint/hypoxia/overview.html</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.sportsci.org/jour/9902/nbh.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sportsci.org/jour/9902/nbh.html</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 03, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 6:28 am 

Thanks - you are a marvel - I wrote a short article about it, which is in the October Dance Expression, but wondered if any dancer had used it. I only had a couple of sessions.Perhaps I am ahead in thinking it may be of use - or wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 2:00 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I only had a couple of sessions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>so, what does one you actually DO in this therapy? (quizzical smiley...)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 7:06 pm 

I do remember hearing about high-performance athletes training at high elevations, but haven't heard of hypoxia before. Sounds like a condition, not a treatment, but if it works and isn't harmful - hey!<P>Remind me to check this out the next time I decide to take a summer workshop at a much higher elevation than I live - agh, that about KILLED me!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 7:32 pm 

actually priscilla, i think you HAD the 'treatment' - that was IT! your summer camp at high altitude....<P>and you're correct that 'hypoxia' itself IS the name of a medically dangerous condition, but the 'treatment regime' for specific disorders, it seems, may also be being used with elite athletes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 10:48 pm 

oh, I was hasty, I guess - just saw <BR>"IHT is an effective substitution for mountain climate training" and thought it was just climbing in a box or chamber or something. Guess that's what I get for just skimming along...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:41 pm 

My initial thoughts on the paper referenced above are firstly that it makes great claims, but no references are given and there is no mention of a refereed journal in which the research was published. This puts me on my guard.<P>The second point is, assuming that it is true, is it capable of general use, given the need to have highly trained staff to monitor that the athletes are getting enough oxygen to avoid harmful effects.<P>Kids, don't try this at home!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 3:43 am 

absolutely agree with you stuart - if this was a kids board, i don't think i'd be pursuing the discussion! <P>priscilla - i was joking above, but my minimal understanding leads me to belive that the overall effect IS about the improvement in oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, obtained by high-altitude training. i only skimmed too, so please correct me, gavin, if i am wrong...<P>and my understanding is also that this is SUCH a high-level (haha!) treatment/training approach that it would not be available nor even necessary to dancers. <P>we are all aware of how demanding dance is, but it's NOT the olympics.....doesn't have those very extreme demands made in one particular type of human effort - is more rounded as a form of exercise or exertion, and also doesn't have the kind of research/medical/ monitoring support and financial backing that sports does. so i can't imagine it being applicable, but i amstill interested to hear about gavin's experience, and what made him look into it, and what he found out...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 5:24 am 

I trust Stuart was not suggesting that it is my article which is not well researched.As all my articles especially those on dance science are well researched. There are many references in well established medical journals throught the world with proper scientific studies to support various claims made for hypoxic regimes. I naturally read these as well as consulting a medical expert before writing my article which does not advocate this for children or indeed adults. It is nor really possible to undergo this treatment without the proper equipment and therefore supervision. I had hoped to get some well informed information.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 5:28 am 

he must mean one of the papers in my post, gavin, coz he can't have seen your article yet....

Profile E-mail