CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Jillana School
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 4:42 am 

Image <P>i have seen very favourable posts about this school (at various boards), and i believe, basheva, that you have experience of this teacher?<P>here is the website:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.jillanaschool.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jillanaschool.com/</A> <P>here's her bio, and that of some of the other teachers there, who include kyra nicholls and maria tallchief!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.jillanaschool.com/faculty.html#jillana" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jillanaschool.com/faculty.html#jillana</A> <P>there are LOTS of photos on the website of the students and teachers - they even have photos of the auditions! (you will never in your life see so many échappés!) <P>the july and august summer programs are in taos ski valley (new mexico).<P> Image <BR>

Post subject: Re: The Jillana School
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 6:31 am 

Yes, Grace - you are right - I am VERY familiar with this wonderful teacher, dancer and human being. She is every bit as lovely inside as outside. When she retired from NYCB she moved to San Diego and took class and performed with San Diego Ballet in the 1970's. When Alicia Alonso came here and danced two Giselles, Jillana starred on the third night - actually in between the two nights of Giselle, as I remember it.<P>I remember her well in class - very lovely to watch and very unassuming. One day we were taking class and I was having a great deal of trouble with a certain turn (which shall be nameless) and the teacher never offered any help. When the class was finished and everyone went to a second studio for a rehearsal - Jillana came back into the now empty class studio where I was trying to "get" this turn. She walked up to me and said "let me help you." <P>She was not the teacher and so owed me no help - she was also due to go rehearse - but she came back just to help me. <P>Another time in another class of adults, a new woman came in and happened to stand twixt me and Jillana at the barre. The new person - just to make pleasant conversation - asked Jillana "have you danced much?" Jillana - smiled quietly and said "I have danced a little". Whereupon I said "Let me introduce you to Jillana - principal dancer with NYCB". <P>As well as being in class with her - I also took class from her and found her a very helpful, caring teacher. I remember her being the Ford Scholarship representative in the San Diego area. At one time she was to set a ballet in Hawaii and I had the tape of the ballet and she came to my house with her daughter to watch the tape. <P>She exemplifies what we would all like a star to be - talent and class.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 10:22 am 

I just can't resist another Jillana story -<P>We were in ballet class one day, the teacher was very fine - but she was really a "give 'em He*l type, who always left us gasping on the floor. <P>Well, it was Monday, and early in the morning - and here it was only frappes' at the barre and already we were watching the clock wondering if we would ever make it to the center - and survive that.<P>Jillana stood at the end of the barre - and right by her was the wall clock. When the teacher turned away, Jillana quietly turned the clock hand forward by 20 minutes. No one said a word.<P>She was the only one who had the guts - and the professional stature to get away with that should she have been caught. The teacher did look at the clock a bit strangely - but no one - NO ONE - even smiled or let on in any way. <P>Well, Jillana, if you are reading this - now the entire internet knows about it. And - Jackie - IT WAS JILLANA WHO DID IT!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 3:17 pm 

My daughter attended her summer program several years ago. Actually it was her first year for the "Jillana School". What struck me most about her was that she was so nice and easy to talk to. As a dance parent I try to stay quiet and not be noticed, as so many parents make fools of themselves. She actually came out where the parents were waiting and insisted that we watch the audition. She said if you are thinking of sending your young dancers to me for the summer, don't you want to know what I am about? She was so lovely and approachable. Honestly, I believe we could of invited her out for coffee and she would of accepted! My daughter enjoyed her time at the program. Her only complaint was she did not get enough of Jillana! <P>------------------<BR>ap's mom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 4:36 pm 

sounds good, ap's mom! sounds like you enjoyed it too. Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 5:02 pm 

Ap's Mom - that sounds exactly like the Jillana I knew and liked so very much - that we all knew and liked so much. Maybe someone should take a copy of this page and mail it to her.