public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beginning Ballet ... (RAD Grade 1)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 3:51 pm 

A friend has asked me to post the following question:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"do you know what RAD grade one students are suppose to know/what is expected of them for passing exams or where i could get that info?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Post subject: Re: Beginning Ballet ... (RAD Grade 1)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 4:14 pm 

the RAD syllabus is very carefully graded to build up patterns/habits of correct execution from the very beginning. <P>in this it is like the vaganova system: slow and cumulative (well - all syllabi ARE cumulative, but these two are well analysed, with the logical progression very clearly VISIBLE in the levels of dificulty and skill acquisition).<P>the RAD syllabus is age-appropriate, unlike many of the 'cheap and nasty' approaches in use by untrained teachers, or teachers of jazz or tap who just throw in 'a bit of' ballet.<P>there are two levels which precede the grade 1 which you ask about. approximately age 8 is an appropriate age for this work.<P>when it comes to exams, the examiner is looking to see CORRECT execution - not just knowing the steps, and being able to mimic an approximation.<P>placing is important. so is rhythm and varied dynamics/'feeling the music'. good posture should not be emphasised TOO much at this age, but it may be mentioned as something to aim for. confident self-presentation is important. here is an outline of the syllabus. hope it helps. it would be good to get some feedback from your friend...<P><BR><B>RAD Grade 1:</B><P>Barre:<P>parallel rises<BR>demi-plies in 1st & 2nd<BR>very simple battement tendus to side<BR>simple ports de bras (arm movement)<BR><I>that's it!</I><P>Seated Exercise:<P>leg rotation and foot flexion<BR><I>(this is VERY good - i use this at much higher levels too.)</I><P>Centre:<P>3 'free movement' exercises (for relaxation)<BR>run and pause (pose)<BR>2 simple ports de bras<BR>demi-plies and tendus using 1st, 2nd and 3rd position<BR>classical walks<P><BR>Allegro:<P>sautes in 1st<BR>echappes sautes to 2nd<BR>petits jetes from 3rd (sometimes innacurately called 'coupés')<BR>spring points<BR>soubresauts<BR>galops<BR>skips<BR>pony galops<P>A short Polka dance/study<P>1 or 2 Character steps.<P>Grade 2 is a very good progression from this, requiring more control, using more 'ballet' moves, and having more complexity of combinations (still simple, though).<P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 4:27 pm 

The RAD also publish their expectations for each level in a pamphlet called 'Standards Prospectus'.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 5:47 pm 

i haven't seen that, twiglet: thanks.<P>charlene, you may also like to know (thanks for your second email) that the RAD have a website at<BR> <A HREF="http://www.rad.org.uk" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rad.org.uk</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 5:54 pm 

twiglet: just checked the site and found that the Standards Prospectus is available there, but as a zipped download, which my computer is not presently accepting...somehow...or they are not sending...but i'll look forward to reading that, when i can get it.<P>charlene, the RAD site has frames, so i can't direct you to specific pages, but if you click on the photo square for 'Students Training' you will get some options that will interest you : Grade Examinations, The Role of the Parent, that sort of thing...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:20 am 

thanks for all the info guys it helped us to see that the ballet class was doing the right things for grade one. <BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2000 1:26 pm 

As a little addendum to Grace's description of the Royal Academy Grade 1 Syllabus I thought I ought to say that from January 1999 the number of exercises that are examined was reduced to accommodate students who are only able to take class once a week, though it was recommended that those exercises not to be examined would continue to be used as training exercises.<P>The examination now consists of the following.<P>Skip change of step (like a parallel polka step taken around the room)<P>Barre<BR> Exercise for feet with rises (in parallel)<BR> Demi-pliés (in 2nd and 1st)<P>Centre<BR> Port de bras (through 1st to 2nd)<BR> Transfer of weight (through 2nd without plié)<BR> Battement tendus with preparation for grands battements (taken devant)<BR> Classical walks (separate exercises for boys and girls)<BR> Sautés (in 1st position)<BR> Sautés and échappés sautés (from 1st to 2nd)<BR> Spring points and petits jetés<BR> Skips and pony galops (around the room)<P>Studies<BR> Polka (girls)<BR> Hornpipe (boys)<P>Free Movement<BR> Exercise for poise (lifting arms with a lift through the body)<BR> Run and pause with rise (a development of the poise exercise)<BR> Swaying and spinning (rhythmical transference of weight with turn)<P>Rhythm And Character Steps (Taken in a simple Hungarian Peasant style)<BR> Rhythm in 2/4 time (Heel toe steps and claps)<BR> Rhythm in 3/4 time (Claps on -23 and knee bends on 12-)<BR> Picked up runs (sharp pick up of foot at back to rhythm 1&2)<BR> Dance (Performed by both boys and girls in pairs on the same side)<P>A candidate for the Grade 1 examination should be over 7 and under 19 years of age, although the recommended upper limit is 12.<P>Although I mostly teach RAD majors I am conversant with the Grades so if any further information about them is required please do not hesitate to contact me.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:53 pm 

thanks tuk - good to have up to date info.<P>as i am not teaching the grades in this syllabus, my reference source is the videotapes (which are so good, but a few years old now). <P>char104 has just changed her daughter's ballet school, and was wanting to assess the different work her 8 year old is being given.

Profile E-mail