public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New student at the School of American Ballet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:56 pm 

Hello,
I'm new here - and a dance mom (yuck). My 8 year old will start her first year at SAB in September. Does anyone know the acceptance rate for winter term audition. I wasn't sure we would pass the audition based on rumors. Also, does anyone have advise to prepare her for this experience.
Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New student at the School of American Ballet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:27 pm 

At that age, particularly if she's already in the school, I don't think you all have anything much to worry about. Never the less, you can coach her -- that if indeed an audition is required -- for her to treat it like she's taking a regular class (which it typically is) and not to get too nervous over it. Taking auditions is something that she can get familiar with and more comfortable with, even if the tummy butterflies never quite go away [which is a good thing].

Passing or not passing an audition is not necessarily a reflection on her ability, talent, or love of ballet and dance. Sometimes it's more of "Are we a good fit?"

She should try to have fun and be excited about it, rather then chewing her nails.

Those watching auditions often look for things beyond raw talent -- how well do they learn and take direction? Are they prepared? [On time, hair up, in clean leotard and tights, shoes.] Are their faces bright and excited?

Hope this helps and best wishes to your child for happy dancing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:59 pm 

Thank you so much for your response. Actually she already auditioned and funny enough I did what you suggested. I told my DD it was a camp for the afternoon. We were accepted in May for winter term. I was just wondering if it is highly competitive - I heard it was for the 6 year olds, but wasn't sure about the 8 year olds. I am not sure if I should get involved with prepping her for classes since I am not a dancer, although it was a great love of mine 100 years ago when I was young. She took from the NJ Ballet and ABT JKO division but she needs work on her port de bras (spelling?). Maybe I should leave it to the instructors?
Lisa

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am 

At the age of 8, she has about 10 years of training ahead of her, so patient encouragement must be exercised. She'll get what she needs at SAB and you can certainly be at her side, cheerleading.

Port de bras is important (very) and that will continually be addressed every class she takes during the long process, through daily practice and ensample.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 pm 

Dear Dean,
Thank you so very much for your guidance! It is truly appreciated.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:22 am 

Howdy, my own daughter started at SAB at 8 as well, WELCOME! We are now in our 5th year. Just a heads up to the social environment, the kids are great, parents not so great. Also, be aware that the school re evaluates the students yearly and cuts are made every year. There is no guarantee from year to year. It can be a rough for child to deal with the idea of getting cut. Oh and the gossip at this school is terrible, always check facts with the school, the staff are wonderful. Again welcome :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:48 am 

At that age, particularly if she's already in the school, I don't think you all have anything much to worry about. Never the less, you can coach her -- that if indeed an audition is required -- for her to treat it like she's taking a regular class (which it typically is) and not to get too nervous over it. Taking auditions is something that she can get familiar with and more comfortable with, even if the tummy butterflies never quite go away [which is a good thing].

Passing or not passing an audition is not necessarily a reflection on her ability, talent, or love of ballet and dance. Sometimes it's more of "Are we a good fit?"

She should try to have fun and be excited about it, rather then chewing her nails.

Those watching auditions often look for things beyond raw talent -- how well do they learn and take direction? Are they prepared? [On time, hair up, in clean leotard and tights, shoes.] Are their faces bright and excited?

Hope this helps and best wishes to your child for happy dancing! :P :evil: 8)

Download high quality Brain Dumps.com to prepare and Adams State University with oracle certification dumps certification. Also get free demos of University of California, Berkeley for review of MICROSOFT

Profile E-mail