public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Professional programs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:21 pm 

Hello,

I am 26 years old, and I want to study ballet in a professional program... I am not sure if there are any professional schools accessible to me at my age. ;) If you can advise me, I would be so grateful!

I studied ballet when I was young, but only in open classes, and I did not take exams! I also studied some modern dance and jazz.

Now, I am going to open adult classes in the town where I live, but after a few months of classes, the classes have become less challenging, and I would love to be able to enter a professional program, and take exams, to challenge myself and improve. Maybe I could later try auditions for contemporary performances...

I know that in France, where I was working before, I was going to the "professional" classes in a private dance school, as drop-in open classes on the days I was not working. The level was appropriate for me, and it seems to me that, in France, private dance schools (as opposed to public schools such as the Conservatory which require a certain level) are very accessible to different levels, and my dance level was at least equal to the other students. I did not enquire about joining the full program and taking exams, because i did not have many weekdays without work.

I don't have as much knowledge as other dancers who have good training. But, I think that in a professional program, I would improve a lot. My turnout is almost 180, I am very flexible, and good muscles, but not big, my feet are not pointed enough, but bendy and good for jumping (one of my teachers said that I can learn to jump as high as boys), and I have very good proportions for ballet, a very very long neck, small face, now I am 50k, but when I dance more often, I am thinner. I have only a little training en pointe. One other teacher said if only I had a better training, because I have the perfect face and lines to dance some roles. I have no performing experience, and no dance photos ;(

Can anyone advise if they know of any dance schools where I might be able to study? Just because I love dancing so much, and I want to improve, but I feel in the adult open classes I am actually starting to regress in my level...

Soon I may be in New York, and I could stay to study dance as a full time student if possible.

Thanks so much if you have any comments for me!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Professional programs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:05 am 

Hello, marina00, and welcome to CriticalDance! You sound so enthusiastic about your dancing! There is a great school in New York that I would recommend in your situation. It is Steps on Broadway... Here is a link: http://www.stepsnyc.com/home/# They have excellent teachers and work with dancers of all ages in many different styles of dance. I was a ballet dancer, and I know that the ballet faculty is very good. Some famous teachers... Among them, one was my teacher and another a fellow member of SFB back in the seventies who originally danced with the Kirov... It would certainly be a good place to begin, get some good training, and check out the "lay of the land" so to speak! Hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Professional programs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:06 am 

Hi, marina00, and welcome to Criticaldance!

You sound so eager about your moving! There is an extraordinary school in New York that I would prescribe in your circumstance. It is Steps on Broadway... Here is a connection: http://www.stepsnyc.com/home/# They have amazing educators and work with dance lovers of all ages in numerous distinctive styles of move.

I was a danseuse, and I realize that the balance artistry employees is great. A few popular educators... Among them, one was my educator and an alternate a kindred part of SFB back in the seventies who initially hit the dancefloor with the Kirov... It would positively be a decent place to start, get some great preparing, and look at the "lay of the land" so to talk! Trust this helps, and good luck to you!

Profile E-mail