public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gripping the floor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 am 

Please help.... :? I've always been taught to relax the toes of the supporting leg, and concentrate on correct weight placement over the foot. But I've just read, from a very well respected master, that one should claw the floor with the toes when going into a demi-plie. Thus engaging all the muscles of the working leg, giving you strength and balance. What does everyone else teach?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gripping the floor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 am 

Hello, Lindsey... I studied with many teachers during my youth and professional career, and not one teacher ever told me to grip my toes like a claw when doing a plie. I tell my students to "spread their toes" in their shoes and be aware of feeling the floor with the bottoms of their toes. Proper weight distribution on the foot is important, too... Feeling the "outside" edge of the foot on the floor (a reminder not to "roll in") as well as feeling the arch "lifted" are important, too. Feeling that lift in the arch helps the knee to track properly in plie as well as proper rotation from the top of the leg (hip rotator muscles)...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gripping the floor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:43 am 

Gina is correct. Additionally, I encourage my students to keep their weight over the balls of their feet, even while "caressing" the floor with their heels [heels touching the floor but with little or no weight on them]. Toes *are* activated in and by things like rond de jambes, using sur le cou de pied. Hope this helps! Thanks for asking!!

Profile E-mail