public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fatten after stopping dancing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 am 

Hey new guy here. I have a question and please forgive me if I sound dumb. I've heard people say that if you dance for a long period and then stop dancing for years together, then there is every chance for your body to fatten up. Is it true or just a myth? I have no knowledge on this own, so please no harsh replies.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fatten after stopping dancing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:14 pm 

Hello, presynares, and welcome to CriticalDance... I think it depends on what you mean by gaining weight. If it is a healthy weight gain, then this seems appropriate to me. There is definitely much more awareness now of eating disorders in the world of dance. Students are encouraged to eat well and maintain a healthy weight. Ballet still does have a certain "body image" issue because it is a performance art and in professional ballet companies there is a certain "look" that just comes with the territory. But, I believe even professional companies have come a long way in the past thirty years in accepting different body types. Dancing is very demanding work and uses a tremendous amount of energy. Dancers are athletes! It's only natural to gain some weight if a person is not keeping up the incredibly demanding physical nature of being a performing dancer. It is best to consult with your personal physician when it comes to your health and your diet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fatten after stopping dancing?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:51 am 

Hi Presynaras,
As Gina says, a healthy body weight is what is right for you as an individual, and where you feel healthy and active and full of energy. If you eat well i.e. healthily, and keep up a sensible exercise regimen - dance or sport or whatever physical activity you enjoy - you will not 'fatten up'. I recommend Daniel Nagrin's book "How to Dance Forever: Surviving against the odds" for some great advice on dancing into later life and on taking care of yourself as a dancer; it is very inspirational. Pilates is another fantastic way of keeping the body fine tuned and lithe throughout life, for dancers and in fact everyone :)

Profile E-mail