public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballet Classes a Week????
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:27 pm 

I started at 14 and am now 15 and I want to be a ballet dancer so bad. It's all I think about literally. Anyways I took 1 class a week because I couldn't afford more and now I am changing studios because it was such a bad studio. How many classes a week or day should I take if I want to be a professional dancer? I need to get really good like the other dancer my age and I don't know exactly how to do that. I wanted to take a summer intensive but my mom couldn't afford it either so I am so lost right now. She doesn't know that I love ballet this much and that this is what I really want to do. I don't know how to tell her either. Right now since I can't do anything for the summer I am working on my own. I am working on balance, splits, leaps, pirouettes, and etc. I want this so bad but I my confidence has went out the door because I feel like time is running out and I will never make it. I desperatly wish my mom made me take classes when I was younger. I also don't get how you take a ballet class every day. I've looked up classes and they only have one ballet of each grade. Are you supposed to take different grades in one week like: Week 1- Ballet I, Ballet II, Ballet III, Ballet IV, Ballet V, Ballet VI. Is that what's best? Do girls normally audition for companies or theaters when they are 18? Do I have a chance? My teachers also say I have a good arch(I don't know if that helps or not) Sorry with all the questions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ballet Classes a Week????
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:35 am 

Did you read Dean Speer's advice to you in your last post? He has answered many of your questions for you...It's not too late to begin, but, as Dean has stated, you need to find a good school with good teachers and take classes at least four (better five or six) days a week. The class levels indicate the level of proficiency. You will be evaluated by a teacher and placed in the appropriate level. Working hard and really applying yourself, you will move up the levels promoted by your instructors. Practicing at home can be fun (I used to dance for fun when I was a very young student in my living room), but it is no substitute for studying with a good teacher and with other students. You can teach yourself bad habits...Good luck...

Profile E-mail