public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AM I TOO OLD TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:17 pm 

I started when I was 14 and I am now 15 and I truly love it. It's the most beautiful dance ever. I feel like someone totally different when I dance. I want to be a ballet dancer but everyone keeps telling me that it will never happen since I started too late. Would I even have a chance if I audition for a small company when I'm 18 maybe? Is it possible? I've heard that Vanessa Sah started when she was in college and thats pretty late but she is in a company so how is that possible? Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: AM I TOO OLD TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:00 pm 

You are not too old. There is also the example of the great Canadian ballerina Evelyn Hart who began, I believe, at 14 and had a major, international career.

Getting a job as a dancer depends on so many factors -- innate talent, hard work, discipline, and occasionally being the right size for the costume [dance companies sometimes are looking for someone of a specific build].

I recommend getting as many ballet classes per week as you can and to seek out the best teachers to get the best training possible. The mastery of technique is over a period of years, and the importance of the daily repetition of class cannot be overstated.

As you can imagine, especially for women, dance jobs are very competitive so you need to be very prepared.

Take many auditions for summer courses -- these can be a gage for how you compare with your peers. Summer courses are also a good time to build your technique and to be seen by others such as directors and choreographers. For some ballet schools, summer programs are the "entree" into their regular programs.

And as you continue to develop, supplement your training with modern dance and other disciplines, but do keep your focus on your basic technical development.

Hope this helps. Keep on dancing...and don't give up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 am 

I wish I could find a recent article I read on the internet about an adult ballet student who started serious pointe work training at the age of 38 then after many years of hard work was accepted as a corp member of a dance theater at the age of 44. I know this isn't typical, but it's so inspiring to read things like this. If I find the article, I will post it here :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:05 am 

Hi, this is probably a little late to reply, so here is a general message to people who found their passion for dance in their teens. I too started ballet at about 14 years of age. Luckily there was a local ballet school and I worked hard on my technique. I still have my first pair of pointe shoes which my mother kept for me, and which date back to my 14th year. They are a little the worse for wear (having endured 40 hot Australian summers) but amazingly still have enough grip to stand on pointe!

Although I never did fulfil my dream of joining a professional company, I realised over the years that it was no longer the life I wanted, but I have never stopped doing my own barre workout. My advice to aspiring dancers is, if you are passionate about your dream, pursue it and give it your best shot, and above all have confidence in yourself and your abilities :) At the same time, it would be wise to have an alternative career plan or, better still, several. Take dance classes as well as courses in another field that interests you, talk to a career advisor, etc. Good luck, and keep dancing!

Never2old2dance

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:27 pm 

Thank you for sharing your experience, Never2old2dance... Yours are very wise and inspiring words. I know a young man who began dancing at age fourteen and is now dancing professionally and having the time of his life! But, it doesn't hurt to start thinking of alternatives or progressions to the next step, whatever that may be, for a young (or older!) dancer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 am 

Thank you Gina, for the lovely comments :)
If we still have the desire to dance, then we're never too old!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:11 am 

Right-on!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:01 pm 

Selena wrote:
I wish I could find a recent article I read on the internet about an adult ballet student who started serious pointe work training at the age of 38 then after many years of hard work was accepted as a corp member of a dance theater at the age of 44. I know this isn't typical, but it's so inspiring to read things like this. If I find the article, I will post it here :D

Selena, I wish you can find that article! I'd love to read it!

Profile E-mail