public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wobbly on supporting leg when doind adagio :) advice please!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:10 am 

I am getting back into ballet after a 2 year break. (I danced for a LOONG time but I stopped..I am 29 now and getting back into shape) I am slowly getting back and gaining strength. I see progress each day (ts wonderful!).
I am just frustrated cause I am VERY wobbly on my supporting leg in adagios when I am not at the barre.
Does anyone has any good exercises to strengthen my ankles and legs (especially to be able to balance on developpes)? How can I get stronger on my supporting leg so I can balance and not fall and to be able to extend my leg?
Thank you so much

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: wobbly on supporting leg when doind adagio :) advice please!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:20 pm 

Hello, yona 26, and welcome to CriticalDance! How wonderful that you are getting back to class and to ballet. Don't be discouraged. Two years is a long time to be away. Take it slowly and don't be hard on yourself. Adagio is difficult because it takes such controlled strength. For me, it was always the most challenging part of ballet class! Place your working leg at a height that you can control. If it is not high right away, it's okay. Better to feel the strength and control of your supporting leg. Feeling "on top of" that supporting leg using your turnout takes strength and muscle memory. Feeling your thigh, your abdominal (your core), and your buttocks muscles strongly engaged is necessary as well as that feeling of being lifted upward out of the hips. As you keep working and gaining strength, it will come back to you! Enjoy your dancing!

Profile E-mail