Post subject: Sally Streets
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:48 am 

Nice article in the Contra costa Times.

Quote:
MARY ELLEN HUNT: FOOT NOTES
Sally Streets: 'I guess I've come full circle'
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched: 05/10/2007 03:07:44 AM PDT

MORNINGS are quiet on the residential stretch of College Avenue in Berkeley, where Julia Morgan's elegant Craftsman-style theater rests under shady trees. From the outside, it seems impossible to imagine the few dozen dancers who are inside sweating up a storm in Sally Streets' morning ballet class.
Sometimes sharp, sometimes funny, but always plain-spoken, the 73-year-old Streets presides over the class -- a mix of regulars and drop-ins, older and younger, professional and non-professional -- with equal measures of earthy common sense and inspiration.

Nothing seems to escape her notice, from the tip of a head to the angle of a toe, but then, this is doubtless what has made her one of the Bay Area's most sought-after teachers. Perhaps her best-known student is her own daughter, Kyra Nichols, who in June will retire from after an unprecedented 33-year career in New York City Ballet.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:38 pm 

I've known Sally since I was sixteen years old. I first met her when Alan Howard's Pacific Ballet and the Marc Wilde Ballet had a combined season in 1967. I was dancing for Marc...Later, Sally and I danced together when I joined Pacific Ballet for a couple of seasons in the early 70s. Sally was an excellent dancer. I learned so much from watching her. She is the most wonderful person and teacher. I've always loved her sense of humor. She also often taught company class at SFB during the time I danced there. When I was younger and dancing for Alan, he cast me as the lead in the "Waltz of the Flowers" for his "Nutcracker". There just wasn't anything in good condition to wear for the performances that fit me. Someone finally found a rather rag tag and tattered costume for me. The day before the show, in comes Sally with an exquisite pink long tutu for me to wear. It was something she "whipped up" the night before because she wanted me to have something better in which to perform. It was beautiful and fit me absolutely perfectly! I was astonished! I will never, ever forget her kindness...By the way, she was dancing "Sugar Plum Fairy" with Alan the same performance!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:59 am 

My old boss at SFB had great sories about Ms. Streets as well. Sounds like she's going strong and training another generation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:51 pm 

Another article on Ms. Streets from the SF Chronicle.

Quote:
For Sally Streets -- dancer, teacher, ballerina's mom -- ballet's a mutual love affair
Rachel Howard, Chronicle Dance Correspondent

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sally Streets opens her arms into an elegant second position, her face with its crown of spiky hair raised nobly to the mirror. "One, two, three," she counts, feet moving in tidy tendus as her students watch carefully. "Five, six, and a seven and ... what happened?"

She marks the steps with narrowed eyes, catches the missing piece of logic, smiles grandly. "I made a mess. That's part of the experience."

more...

Profile E-mail