public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: to teach dance without a diploma ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:06 pm 

Hello !

I want to know if i can to give ballet lessons
whithout diploma ?

Thanks !

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:57 pm 

Hello, keyroux...I believe it depends...If a teacher has had a professional career, a "diploma" is not something that would be necessary to teach ballet. If you wanted to teach "RAD", you would need to have a certification to be able to teach this method. A person needs to have reached a certain level of proficiancy in ballet with some performance experience (I believe) in order to teach ballet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:47 am 

From my position as an observer, not a teacher (or performer), I would add that it will also depend on where you are located, keyroux. For instance, here in the UK, I belive that it would be unlikely that a dance school would employ you without certification and there might even be a legal dimension to consider. I have also heard the view that a well-trained (in teaching as well as ballet) teacher can play a very valuable role with students up to a certain level.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:22 pm 

What Stuart says is right - it depends largely on location. It is far more common in the US for a teacher to be an ex professional dancer without a certified qualification than it is in the UK. Almost every teacher I know in the UK has a teaching qualification with one of the main societies i.e RAD, ISTD, IDTA.

I agree with Gina that it is extremely useful for a teacher to have had performance experience to pass on that dimension to students. However I also feel that the training for a teaching qualification offers a potential teacher invaluable knowledge in anatomy, child development, lesson structure and planning, how to develop students potential.

It is also useful to try and get some experience helping in classes but also observing different teachers at work.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:48 am 

Thanks you for yours answer .
My question is about a legal dimension .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:58 pm 

Keyroux, again that depends on the country in which you will be teaching.

I don't think that in any country, you would be forbidden from teaching without qualifications. It would be more a matter of getting liability insurance and permission to teach certain styles & classes and the ability to register your students for RAD or ITSD exams.

I would think that in the UK, a teacher would have a hard time getting proper insurance without qualifications. In the U.S., it would be easier, but qualifications would probably make it easier to find a decent insurance package.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:25 am 

Joanne will know far more about the UK "legal dimension" than me, but a good knowledge of best practise for dealing with students woud be essential to avoid situations involving potential litigation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:41 am 

Personally i would not teach without insurance and I'm sure a lot of insurance companies in the UK would not insure without a relevant qualifications.

One of the benefits of being qualified and affiliated with a dance organisation like the IDTA is that all members get public liability insurance as part of their membership. You may need additional insurance dependent on turnover and size of business - also employers liability if you employ other teachers. For most freelance teachers public liability will be enough.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:15 am 

Yes , of course i'm in uk .

Profile E-mail