public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: End of an era
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:40 am 

Well that was that. I took my last class as principal of my own school last Saturday.

As some of you will know I am 7 months pregnant and after a lot of soul searching I decided that I couldn't run a successful dance school and combine motherhood without going mad.

Therefore my school has now been sold.

At the moment it is weird, I don't feel sad. I suppose because I would normally be on holiday at this time and because I wouldn't have been teaching next term anyway. I think also because it was my choice to leave, the school is in very good shape so I feel I have done a good job and fulfilled a great many ambitions in the last nine years. I have proved I can run a successful dance school and whatever happens in the future that cannot be taken away. I have other ambitions I wish to fulfill now.

I will miss the children and adult students and the teaching in general. I will not miss the admin, the "challenging parents" and the weight of everything being my responsibility. I am planning to go back to teaching but on a freelance basis - I am hoping this will let me combine motherhood with a brilliant job and that I can get the best of both worlds. Only time will tell - but right now I am looking forward to the birth of apparently "my son" and also to just going along to some dance classes as a student.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:19 pm 

Congratulations Joanne. I am so very happy for both you and your family and wish you all the very best of happiness for the future and on the birth of your new baby "boy".

I too taught freelance (and obtained my teaching diploma) when my twins were first born. Very rewarding as I could still teach, dance (I actually danced right up to two weeks before the birth much to the annoyance of my Teacher ha ha ha) and enjoy family life but without all the other stresses that come with running with a studio (Please note that I also have a full time job! and a wonderful support network - what is it that they say? if you want something done, give it to a busy person ha ha). Now that my beautiful girls are six, I have just opened my very own dance studio. So you see, where one door closes another indeed does open. I think it is all to do with the timing. I would dearly love to hear of all your wonderful plans for the future. please keep us up to date. Will email/talk to you very very soon!!!! Love, Spangles xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:07 pm 

It sounds a little bittersweet, Joanne...It's hard to leave something into which you have invested so much love, time, and effort. But, you have so much to look forward to, and you will be so busy that you will know in your heart that you made the right decision. Congratulations to you and I wish you and yours lots of luck and happiness! A boy! How exciting!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:38 am 

Thank you for your kind wishes both of you. You are right Gina it is bittersweet, although this is so the right decision for me it is still hard to let go after nine years. But life moves on and I am looking forward to a whole new set of challenges.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:58 am 

Your decision making process looks very good to me, Joanne - I"ve sometimes "spread myself too thin" and been dissatisfied on a number of fronts. However, I can certainly see that it was a wrench to let go of this enterprise and community that you have developed.

But, it"s good that you will have the freedom to go back to teaching when and where you like.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us. Finding the right time to let go is a crucial skill in all our endeavours.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:57 am 

Congratulations!!!
Decision making are never easy. I believe this new path bears with it, a lot of exciting adventures and discovery. I believe you will be dearly remembered and missed by your students.
Best wishes for a smooth delivery and congratulations again to both you and your family.