public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RAD syllabus for adults?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:17 am 

Hi all - I'm moving to New Zealand, probably Auckland area, in about a month and a half (I'll be staying for about a year), and I've been researching dance studios down there so I'll be able to continue my studies at least somewhat consistently while I'm away. I currently take mainly modern and Simonson classes in New York City and so I'm used to having a pretty wide range of options for adult dancers, which I know is not the case basically everywhere else. So far I've only found one studio in Auckland that offers adult classes, and they seem to be a ballet, RAD-based studio. I hope this doesn't make me sound like an idiot, but what exactly should I expect from something like that? What are the first few levels like? Is it even appropriate for an adult student to take RAD classes? Any insight would be appreciated...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:50 am 

Hi Badly drawn girl,

I think you may need to ascertain whether the class is a syllabus or non-syllabus class. A lot of schools that follow a syllabus for the child students may not necessarily do the same with their adults. I know with my adult ballet students although I used some syllabus exercises it was mainly free stuff that I had made up appropriate to the level of adults I was teaching.

I do not have that much knowledge of the RAD syllabus but most syllabus are well thought out and the lower level grades will concentrate on developing strong basic technique. The grade syllabus however is normally designed for children so some of it is not always appropriate for adults.

With some teaching organisations there is a specific adult syllabus. The IDTA for example offers adult medals in all subjects including ballet where students learn a port de bras, enchainement and dance for the exam. It may be worth contacting them as I know they have registered teachers in New Zealand - www.idta.co.uk.

Also e-mail this other school and ask them a bit more about their adult classes.

Good luck.

Profile E-mail