public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! Advice on financing training please
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:37 pm 

Ok so I have kind of a quick question. I need to know what I can to to fund my dancing. I have been accepted into a school in London, and I live in Canada, therefore it is going to cost me...and my parents quite a bit. So i need to find out how to get some money or raise money so that I can go because this is something that I think I will forever regret if I am not able to go. Please please give me any and all suggestions that you can think of because I just don't know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:55 am 

Hi skylerberry and welcome to CriticalDance.

Congratulations on your acceptance for the course in London and sorry to hear that finance is a problem. Where will you be studying and for how long?

First off, have you or your family made a budget for the project, taking into account living costs in London, which are very high. Clearly, you need to know how much you are looking for. Are there scholarships available at the School? Are there public monies in Canada that you could apply for? My guess is that as a non-EU citizen, public funding in the UK would be unlikely.

And I have to ask the big question: why London?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:50 am 

I spoke to a dance administrator friend who has much experience of the dance training environment in the UK and she passes on this message, which is not encouraging I have to say:

Quote:
Nice to hear that your student wants to come to London, but yes - funding will be hard. Usually the school is best placed to advise, partly because they are dealing with the problem all the time. She does right to ask for further ideas, but should not worry if nothing much comes back. I have heard of drama students writing to lots of famous actors for small amounts, but am not convinced that this model would transfer to dance .... sorry.

Sky, two questions:

- do you have a budget worked out, taking into account the high cost of living in London?

- do you have a plan B prepared for studying at a Canadian school, in case you cannot find the finance for London ie to ensure that you don't lose a year.

Profile E-mail