public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pointe questions...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:32 pm 

If I take lessons six days out of seven (gotta have my free day :D), with each lesson being about one hour, will that be enough to go en pointe?

Also, is it usual for a teacher to offer six lessons a week to beginners? I've been wandering around my local dance studios but they don't seem to offer that sort of program, and I REALLY want to get those shoes.

Just look at my signature. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:13 am 

Hi Raedyn,

If you are a beginner then at the moment you shouldn't be considering pointe work. Pointe work should only be undertaken after several years study where the basics will be learnt thoroughly, posture corrected, demi pointe work studied and strength developed. Obviously taking several classes a week will help you to learn more quickly but even so pointe work shouldn't be rushed in to and no reputable teacher would rush you in to it.

It is great that you are so enthusiastic and that you have a goal in mind, but to begin with enjoy learning the art of ballet and getting a good grounding as that will only make your development into pointe work easier and more enjoyable.

Have you spoken to any possible schools to see whether you could take several classes a week? Also you could possibly take classes at different studios to get a few classes in a week. Bear in mind though that if you are a beginner it will take a while for your body to get used to this regime so maybe 2 or 3 classes a week would be enough to begin with until your body has adjusted to this new art form.

Good luck and above all enjoy your dancing.

Profile E-mail