public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kinderdance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:34 pm 

hi there. does anyone out there in cyberland know of any kinderdance syllabus that can be accessed via the net? I would love to hear what other teachers include into their kinderdance classes. I would love to hear any/all ideas that other teachers include into their classes.
I personally do a kinderdance combo programme which incorporates 1/2 hour kinderdance and 1/2 physical culture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:46 am 

Spangles,

I find that age group love working with props and also linking dance to stories.

I have a box which includes ribbons, pom poms, bean bags, wands, sheets. They can be used to enhance a variety of dance situations.

For example I do a class based around The Beach. We have a blue sheet that we dance around pointing (or dipping) our toes in the water, looking under the sheet to see if we can spy any underwater creatures and then pretending to be them. We pretend the bean bags are rocks and jump over them. I also have a blow up beach ball which they can roll to each other or hold up high and turn around with.

Imagination is the key with this age group and giving them ideas that they can appropriate their dance movements and steps to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:27 pm 

Hi Joanne. I am now going to create a special ballet box for the very purpose that you mentioned - creative play.
other things that I include into my own syllabus =
Basic warmup/cool down skills
basic human movement
basic dance
basic anatomy
basic isolations
confidence gestures
mime
basic pattern work
basic directions
sound
feelings
emotions
breathing techniques
basic contemporary
use of various props in dance
lateral movement
dance games
open and closed positions
basic music
shape (using the body)
locomotor and nonlocomotor movement
simple combinations
timings
basic choreography
basic ballet vocabulary
spatial awareness
story telling

ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD will be most welcomed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:11 pm 

Spangles another favourite is putting on some music which they move freely to and then pausing the music and they create positions either on their own or with a partner. You can give them pointers - i.e a big position, small position, position on one leg.

This exercise helps with creativity and choreography, spatial awareness, balance etc.

I also find analogy works well with this age group too.

They are a gret age group to work with.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:29 pm 

THANS Joanne. Very much appreciated (would love to visit one of your classes). I too play ballet statues as you previously mentioned, quite often as part of a cool down and before our final close eyes and breathing exercises (i like to return the children to their parents/guardians calm, relaxed but happy if you know what I mean) :wink:
Would love to hear from both yourself and any other teachers out there what type of motivators they use within the classroom: example stickers, encouragement awards, gift boxes (a little like a lucky dip box for students who really try hard in class). etc :idea:

Post subject: Syllabus
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:05 am 

Leap n Learn is a decent basic syllabus for this age. You can find it with a google search. I don't find their music particularly catchy, but I do like thier improvisation tracks. Greg and Steve cds. Pre School Aerobic fun cds (I think thats a Kimbo product.) All of these incorporate the suggestions for this age group other people have already mentioned. I do monthly themes: dance ettiquette (or no you may not run around the studio screaming like your mother allows at home), levels (floor work, standing, tiptoes, jumps), tempos (march234/clap234; 123, 123 thats how it goes, i can keep time with my head and my toes, etc.), how to form lines, peels, canons (waves), partner work holding hands, dishrag, etc., ballet pantomime gestures, how to "color" your dance, how to dance emotions, stage presence (how to line up in the wings, what to do if your shoe flies off, how to enter and exit the stage, etc.) I also do improvisation and prop work each class: angel wings, star polyspots, feather boas, rhythm sticks, scarves, hoops, ribbon sticks, etc.