public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: massages in the midst of performing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:55 pm 

Well, in honor of the new moderator (congratulations!), I'd like to post a question. My daughter, who is 12, will be involved with a 19-show run of the Nutcracker next month. She'll be doing "that part" with a professional company. As part of my strategy to keep things sane and fun, I was toying with the idea of getting her a massage in the midst of this run, but I don't know for sure if that would be wise. I know, from personal experience, that a massage can sometimes leave the muscles feeling quite wobbly. Yet at the same time, I know it can be quite restorative, when done right. Do any dancers or teachers have thoughts on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:14 pm 

Well, wouldn't the other dancers trip over the masseuse?

Oh, you meant when she was offstage....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:19 pm 

Actually I was thinking of hiding the masseuse under Mother Ginger's skirt, but if you think that would distract the other dancers.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:22 pm 

Well, it might distract Mother Ginger, for sure....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:58 am 

OK, one last try. Does anybody have a real answer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:09 am 

Are you asking if it's OK to get a massage in the middle of the run -- for example, between performances -- or during a performance.

My gut feeling is that it would be fine to get a massage after a performance...but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this.

Anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:41 am 

I've had massages before class and I have to say it wasn't the best time for it. As you say it leaves you a bit wobbly and to be honest I think I would have rather gone home and relaxed in front of a TV rather than dance at that point. If it's on an off-day perhaps? (It is a lovely idea as a gift.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:53 am 

I have had massages whist in a mid performance run and found that they were most helpful when it was timed with a few days off after.

Is "that part" Clara?

I think that Moms need a massage as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:17 pm 

I concur with Lucy. Massages during a run are great as long as there is time off for recovery. For a 12 yr. old that recovery time will probably be quicker than mine, but she shouldn't have the massage the same day as a performance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:42 pm 

I know that there are different types of massages. Some are suitable as a sort of warm up and for injury prevention, others are deep massages and leave the muscles wobbly, as you say, and should not be done before a performance.

I have no experience with massages in relation to dance performances, but I do in relation to intense sport activities. I assume that the same rules apply.

A good massage therapist should be able to advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:39 am 

Gee, I wish that when I was 12 my Mom had arranged a massage for me! I think it is a lovely idea. I would suggest asking the therapist for a gentle to medium pressure for her since she has never had a massage before. And, I agree with the above posters to time it preceeding a day off. You could treat her to this at the end of the run, which would also be a lovely reward for all the hard work! Merde to your daughter for her perfomances! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:11 pm 
I would hope someone this age wouldn't NEED a massage! But if they do, then perhaps what other have indicated would be fine and appropriate.

If you're looking for somekind of special "treat" for your daughter, I might recommend taking her to high tea somewhere or having her get a facial at a spa. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:21 pm 

thank you, all! I agree that a kid this age doesn't NEED a massage, but I'm just looking more for ways to keep the whole experience fun and as low-stress as possible. She is doing Clara and, while the actual dancing probably adds up to less than one decent class, I know the hoopla surrounding it all can make for tense muscles. But, not knowing a masseuse well enough around here that I could say "keep it light" and get just that, it probably would be best to go with just a nice hair appointment (gotta stay on top of that ringlet damage). I agree -- Mom deserves to get the massage. And a snappy little pinot grigio 8)