public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How become a ballet teacher in USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:56 am 

I would like to know how can I do to become a ballet- teacher in USA ?

I'm french and in France we need to pass an exam, is it the same in USA ?

Could you please give me information about it ? Thank you very much for your help,

Mystico

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:02 pm 

In the USA, alas, anyone can claim to be a ballet teacher.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:58 pm 

Is there a specific qualification to become a ballet teacher?
is there a demand for ballet teacher with paper qualification?

*pixie*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:32 pm 

Well in the UK the majority of teachers will have a paper qualification from one of the main teaching organisations. Without one it is almost impossible to get insurance.

However this is not the case in all countries and it is very hard to monitor who is qualified to teach and who is not. Although there are many talented teachers who do not have recognised qualifications there are also many who don't have qualifications and teach in an inappropriate manner.

I suppose at least a qualification from a recognised body gives some guarantee that the teacher has reached a certain level of competence and knowledge.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:17 am 

pixie wrote:
Is there a specific qualification to become a ballet teacher?
is there a demand for ballet teacher with paper qualification?

*pixie*

Depends on what syllabus you want to teach and what school you want to teach at. I know that if you want to teach at an RAD school in the states or anywhere for that fact you need to be certified and understand the different levels of syllabus for RAD before you can even attempt to teach them. Generally speaking though, many people in the United States state that they are teachers but have no formal background or certification to support the claim, only professional experience, if your lucky :shock:
Then there are the crunchy "I know everything about anatomy and kineseology" type teachers that shovel all the "wellness" and "core muscle" stuff around the studio. I personally like these kinds of teachers because they always seem to have some sort of methadology that you have never heard of and can support it with scientific/medical/hollistic theories that you can't argue with, always a learning experience :roll: . However, if you ask these kinds of teachers to teach things like how to execute a double soudebasque out of a coupe jete menege without falling on your bum or breaking your foot, more than likely you are not going to get an answer that will help you.

Profile E-mail