public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stage presence
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:30 pm 

ok i hate to admit it but i have none...at least not in class. how do you convince yourself that dance is something that you want others to watch you do? i suppose that i have convinced myself that no one really wants to see me dance because im an older dancer who started dancing at the age of 19. but i love it so much i cant give up. well... i realized today that i would be so much better if i only knew how to express that magical thing called stage presence. i am wise dancer, but i have yet to figure this one out. how do dancers dance for their audience rather than for their own personal joy or grief when they have scared themselves into believing they are not worth watching? please share your thoughts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:21 pm 

Well c-tina I can say that the majority of times I enjoy watching dancers who seem to be enjoying the role they are performing - so I would say try and let your own enjoyment come through as you dance.

Can I ask have you had much opportunity to perform? If not I would advise trying to get as much performance opportunity as possible at whatever scale. This can only improve your confidence as a performer and help to develkop your stage presence.

Also watch videos of yourself and others performing. What do you like/dislike about yours and other performances and use this to help improve your own.

Also confidence and and a secure knowledge of your routines that you are performing are essential to maintain good atge presence. If you are uncertain of routines you will be too busy trying to remember what you are supposed to be doing to be able to thing positively about projecting your personality and style to the audience.

I hope this helps you and that some others will also give some ideas.

Profile E-mail