public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: port de bras
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:26 am 

i have been asked the question of how much side bend would you recommend in port de bras and why? any thoughts, comments and/or observations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:28 pm 

Hi spangles...could you be a bit more specific about which side bend and which port de bras you might be using?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:13 am 

Hi spangles. Since port de bras is something I obsess about (but am by no means an expert), I thought I'd weigh in on your question. Side port de bras can be as severe as one desires so long as the classical shape is not distorted. In other words, the distance between the arm and the head remains as it would be while standing straight up. The shape of the arm remains as it would be if in fifth position standing straight up. If the student is bending sideways and brushing the arm against the side of the head so as to feel the extra stretch along the side of the body, it feels wonderful, but looks dreadful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:32 pm 

Sorry guys. I shall be a bit more specific here. I was refering to either an adult beginner age group or a 6-8 year old age group. simple port de bras in 3rd and 4th positions in particular. I personally encourage both these age groups in the first instance to use only eyes, eye focus and heads and then at a later stage include a sligh epaulment. I think there is an area which one has to be careful also with how we say things. how often have we said to our students to "perform the port de bras with feeling, present it to your audience" and then seeing these incredible and ugly side bends and weird and wonderful distortions which we then have to rope back in but without discouraging our students at the same time. ha ha :roll: I totally agree with your post also poohtunia - I think distortion of the classical shape is the key here :wink: