public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lyrical style
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:22 pm 

please can someone define the meaning of LYRICAL STYLE? how would you teach the lyrical style?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:43 pm 

Lyrical style refers to Lyrical Jazz. The basis is to use jazz technique (slow jazz) if you will. When I teach Lyrical I focus a lot on free style movement, really emphasizing the arms and torso. I found my checttii training really usefull (rounding of the arms). Also, I work on a lot of full extensions of legs. All in all lots of streching and pretty flow...

Don't know if it helps at all.... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:52 pm 

hi there twinkle toes. I too was cechetti trained :)
i do appreicate the Lyrical Jazz Style as I also teach this style. I think I should have been more specific in regards to style. I was thinking of the lyrical style of ballet! I am thinking as you said it relates to the free style type of movement that conveys softness and flow, lots of beautiful high extensions perhaps almost bordering of adagio? what say you? I for one am confused :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:51 am 

Umm it is tough to define. Although yes it does border on adagio there are other steps found in allegro that require lyrical style i.e balance de cote, en avant and en arriere for example and things like balletic waltz turns. They are also steps that invite different use of arm lines etc so would encourage the expressive side of lyrical movement.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:30 pm 

thank you for your post Joanne. I too agree that the arms play and extremely important part in depicting the lyrical style. I looked up the meaning of the word lyrical in a dictionary and its meaning = Expression of deep personal emotion. I am therefore thinking that in order to do this, lyrical dance must be able to tell a story and at the same time the dancer must be able to emote to the audience. I guess in summary, Lyrical Ballet can be defined as being: an expression of emotion through motion and storytelling supplemented by the complementary styles of ballet, modern and acting.