public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: teaching pirouette
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:21 pm 

for those that are teaching adult beginners with little or no previous dance experience, how would you teach a pirouette?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:06 pm 

Spangles I am enjoying the replies tothe subjects you have introduced so thought I would activate one which had not been 'jump started'

I will do this in reference to Pirouette en dehors from 5th position

Teaching adult beginners a pirouette would have to go in stages. Maybe the barre would include battement tendu as in Grade 5 so floor pressure ,placement and turnout are established - but facing the barre say 3 times and then a tendu a la seconde to change feet. However I would (in this exercise) ensure the weight is slightly forward

Then later ( not in the same lesson) move on to , degage derriere lower in 4th demiplie bring the working leg to retire position close in front. Battement tendu a la seconde close devant and a releve passe derriere, repeat the degage derriere and the battement tendu a la seconde closing devant BUT this time a releve devant.

Then I would take these to the centre.

However before the turn in the centre we would go back to the barre and do the above still facing the barre BUT this time including a turn.

Then try all of the above side ways to the barre, however instead of the releve devant a de tourne to face the other side.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:07 pm 

I apologise I should have headed that

Slowly but surely

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:57 pm 

thank you once again tiptoes for your input.
I agree with the teaching of pirouette to any age group, the best way is of course to break it down.
That said -
Barre Work would include tendu's to introduce the said required floor pressure, placement, alignment and turnout. in addition to this I would also include a transfer of weight exercise. For example: tendu devant, place foot into 4th position on the flat (both with straight legs and in plie position (2 different exercises ), make sure that the weight is even over both feet, knees over toes, onces centre is held and all that has been previously mentioned above et cetera. Tendu's that also change the feet and include weight placement exercises are also good and encourages the dancer to become a thinking dancer and trains the memory at the same time. (tendu's also a most wonderful tool for training of turnout)

Retire exercises are also very good to be practiced at the barre (I personally use retire exercises to encourage turnout also but I think I have already discussed in a previous post? (retire paralell/turnout?).

In conclusion of barre work. If giving a class that is specifically designed to work towards pirouette, I am thinking that one can include:
plies (particularly in 4th and 5th), tendu's (as above), weight placement exercises (as above) retire exercises, releve passe (I feel that releve's, echappe releves and even battement releves will assist in the overall outcome of a pirouette class) PLEASE AD ON ANY THOUGHTS, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OBSERVATIONS.

It is amazing what a valuable tool the barre is and should not be forgotten.
(and how many times do we hear students groan about doing barre work ha ha ha ha :P

Facing the barre then proceeding to side on to the barre and then finally onto the centre is a wonderful progression of a break down of exercise. Now if I can only remember to do this in each and every class aaaargh :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:57 pm 

thank you once again tiptoes for your input.
I agree with the teaching of pirouette to any age group, the best way is of course to break it down.
That said -
Barre Work would include tendu's to introduce the said required floor pressure, placement, alignment and turnout. in addition to this I would also include a transfer of weight exercise. For example: tendu devant, place foot into 4th position on the flat (both with straight legs and in plie position (2 different exercises ), make sure that the weight is even over both feet, knees over toes, onces centre is held and all that has been previously mentioned above et cetera. Tendu's that also change the feet and include weight placement exercises are also good and encourages the dancer to become a thinking dancer and trains the memory at the same time. (tendu's also a most wonderful tool for training of turnout)

Retire exercises are also very good to be practiced at the barre (I personally use retire exercises to encourage turnout also but I think I have already discussed in a previous post? (retire paralell/turnout?).

In conclusion of barre work. If giving a class that is specifically designed to work towards pirouette, I am thinking that one can include:
plies (particularly in 4th and 5th), tendu's (as above), weight placement exercises (as above) retire exercises, releve passe (I feel that releve's, echappe releves and even battement releves will assist in the overall outcome of a pirouette class) PLEASE AD ON ANY THOUGHTS, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OBSERVATIONS.

It is amazing what a valuable tool the barre is and should not be forgotten.
(and how many times do we hear students groan about doing barre work ha ha ha ha :P

Facing the barre then proceeding to side on to the barre and then finally onto the centre is a wonderful progression of a break down of exercise. Now if I can only remember to do this in each and every class aaaargh :wink: