public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pirouette class warmup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:07 pm 

Hi there. as I previously mentioned in another post, I am needing to design a class (part of a teaching course I am participating in) pertaining to pirouettes. Just wondering if we could brainstorm and think of some things one would include into a warmup session for such a class? I look forward to receivng any/all replies and of course, as always, any thoughts, comments and/or observations most welcome: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:15 pm 

Are you on the 'new' RAD teacher training programme?

The best idea is to think of your goal - in this case the pirouettes and work backwards thinking of all excercises in class which assist in improving pirouettes - a well planned basic class will do it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:49 pm 

Presumably, you'd be including a lot of relevés in the class, piqués, and sustained balances, so I'd suggest maybe beginning with some floor stretches to massage and stretch out the backs of the legs, calf muscles, and limber up the lower back and to firm the stomach and overall trunk strength.

I'd also stretch out the sides of the hips some.

And in between sets of class exercises, encourage and even lead students through stretching out. Sometimes students don't know to do this, particularly if they're novices. Best wishes for happy teaching and dancing! 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:12 pm 

Thank you Dean from the bottom of my heart. I have taken your good advice to heart and have included into my class. I have since completed my exam in regards to creating a syllabus for pirouette and am now just waiting for the results. The syllabus that I do teach are very holistic and health consious and in each and every class we must include warm-up, cool down and of course stretches in between. i guess my question to you would be - when giving a pirouette orientated class, which stretching exercises would be best? I am guessing - hamstring and calf stretches, hip and inner thigh stretches, floor stretches which stretch the back and evern to go as far as shoulder and neck stretches? what say you :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:20 pm 

Hi, for the pirouette warm up I would suggest also some plies that would go deep enough and then would stretch fastly, only that, or after during the exercise go up to rise in both feet and hold, and after, rise in only one foot and hold - In the Barre.