public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad Feet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:39 pm 

Hi all. I'm not a classically trained dancer, so I don't know many of the terms. What does it mean to have "bad feet?" I have a daughter who is 14 months old, and I believe she may have the perfect feet for dancing once she's old enough, but then again, I've only had two years of ballet and never went pointe. So how would I know?

Also, what is the right age for me to start her in classes? What can I do to prepare her?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:55 pm 

Hello and welcome, Nola Joy! The ideal ballet dancer's foot has a high instep and arch. "Flat" feet would perhaps fit the definition of a "bad" foot for ballet. I have seen students with not so great ballet feet really improve what they are born with through proper training and extra stretching and exercises with therabands, etc. I think it would be pretty difficult to tell at your daughter's age if she has good feet for ballet! My granddaughter is 21 months old and I can't tell...I wouldn't start her in any pre-ballet program until she is at least four years old. These classes explore movement and music and rhythm for little ones combined with lots of imagination and creativity. More serious ballet training comes later...around seven or eight in a lot of schools. When she is the right age, bring her to classes for the little ones and see if she enjoys it. Take her to appropriate children's performances, like the "Nutcracker" when she is old enough. Play music at home and let her move to the music and have fun. Classes for young children should be lots of fun for them. This way, they see and feel the joy that dancing can bring and they will keep this with them as they move on to more serious training or whatever they may decide to do as they grow up. :wink:

Profile E-mail