public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: flexibility in children
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:15 am 

My eleven year old daughter would like to improve her side splits. she can do the forward splits no problem. can anyone advise the most effective method as she wants to perfect them before the end of July :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:56 am 

Hello, aude...Unfortunately, there is no rushing flexibility. You can't set a date on when something like the side splits can be accomplished. I'm going to assume you are speaking of what, in gymnastics, is called a "straddle". It would be unsafe for her to push beyond gentle stretching as it could result in injury. And she should ALWAYS be warmed up before she stretches. She should always do her straddle with her legs as rotated as possible, using her turn-out and really pointing her feet. It helps, also, for her do her straddle facing a wall with the soles of her feet flat against the wall. Her back should be very straight. She should feel a bit of discomfort, but NO pain. Gentle is the word! And hold it for at least a minute...Hope this helps...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:52 am 

Many thanks for your advice. I should have stressed that she is almost there when she attempts them although she never really worked on improving the side splits before. Some people have said that against a wall is a good method so I guess she'll try that. She is naturally hypermobile but I'll certainly make sure she warms up beforehand. how long do you think she should hold it for and how many times per day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:14 pm 

Hi...I think that if she incorporates her stretching into her class, if it works with the teacher's lesson plan, or after her class is finished, I think this would be best. Talk to her teacher, if you like. What does he/she suggest? If she takes two classes a day, twice isn't going to be too much. She could start off stretching for about a minute and work up to maybe two minutes. It is important to be relaxed (no tense muscles) when stretching and use relaxed, calm breathing.

Profile E-mail