public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Francisco Ballet
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:08 pm 

In the San Francisco Chronicle, Allan Ulrich previews the 2009 performances of Helgi Tomasson's Nutcracker with a focus on who is new to the company this year.

SF Chronicle

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: San Francisco Ballet
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 pm 

Allan Ulrich reviews the opening night performance of December 8, 2009 in the San Francisco Chronicle.

SF Ballet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:56 pm 

I note from a perusal of the cast lists that former Pacific Northwest Ballet principal Casey Herd will be partnering Sofiane Sylve in the Grand Pas de Deux at the evening performances on Thursday, December 17 and Saturday, December 19. Here is a direct link to the casting page on the SFB website. (Casey left PNB for a position with Dutch National Ballet.)

Nutcracker Casting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:14 pm 

Cory Stearns, soloist at ABT and 2009 winner of the Erik Bruhn prize (best male dancer), will be partnering Sofiane Sylve in the grand pas at the end of the month.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:12 pm 

"Nutcracker" opens on Thursday, December 9, 2010. Mary Ellen Hunt profiles new dancers, Elena Kazakova and Artem Yachmennikov, in the San Francisco Chronicle.

SF Chronicle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:56 pm 

Allan Ulrich reviews the Thursday, December 9, 2010 performance of Helgi Tomasson's "The Nutcracker" in the San Francisco Chronicle.

SF Chronicle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:05 pm 

Geri Jeter reviews the December 9, 2010 opening of "The Nutcracker" in the California Literary Review.

California Literary Review

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 am 

Having been mostly disappointed by the change to a San Francisco template for the SFB revamped Nutcracker, I've stayed away for the last several years, if for no other reason than to marshal a new perspective when it came time to see it again. The MacCaulay chronicles reignited my interest in any and all versions, and so there I was back again not in the Land of the Sweets, but watching divertissements from hither and yon staged in a hothouse. I will never accept the loss of the angels in costumes and wigs that made every child look and feel beautiful onstage, and the ginger children in their gingham dresses. Now they show up in what began as cow pelts, and after complaints that they looked like Gateway computer product placements the bovine splotches have been turned into clown-like black polka dots. Mother Ginger, no longer the nice lady next door who perhaps baked krumkake or spritz cookies, is now renamed Madame de Cirque, and looks to be a woman of ill repute who, lacking virtue, seems to have wrapped herself in the flag, patriotism being famously the last refuge of a scoundrel. Strangely, refuge is also taken under her lifted skirts. It would seem to me that any child who spent even a minute there would be likely to show up on Oprah later in life exposing much more of her than she exposes of herself! There are likable concepts (such as the flowers and bugs and the Where the Wild Things Are costumes), but they do not find a creative echo in the choreography. Act I lacks any identifiable humor, unlike the Ben Stevenson version, which is raucous. There is no buildup to Fritz's decapitation of the title role prop, and so it's just one more confusing event on a stage filled with quotidian rather than festive party transactions. The Sugar Plum Fairy's steps seem always to stop short of what one is hoping for: Couldn't we have just one tour jeté that begins its chassé on a diagonal from upstage? Just when we think that might happen we get a brief scroogy little balloné instead. Whenever the music says "Go!" she is forced to stop short. We start to take pity on the very character who is supposed to confer holiday cheer. Happily, there is no change in the Grand Pas, and I was lucky to see Clara Blanco and Isaac Fernández Hernández dance it at the Wednesday matinee. It transported me to the good old days, the remnant that remained of the Christensen version. Their costumes--gold and aquamarine--were lovely and lavish--and Clara Blanco's timing, placement, sensibility and authority when she brings her arms down after having deeded us all those refinements--was absolute. Isaac, only 20(!) just gobbles up space, with flowing arms and legs, great elevation and spiffy turns: they are a Christmas chemistry set under the tree. On Thursday, I saw Lorena Feijoo and Vitor Luiz, veterans of the Grand Pas, dance it. Theirs was sure, regal and filled with tiny treasures. It was also pleasurable to see Jennifer Stahl's Snow Queen. She was fighting an orchestra that seemed to be asleep in the pit, but she triumphed smilingly over the obstacles placed in her way, and reigned supreme. Please bring back the old version. San Franciscans know where they are: what they want to see is the manners and customs of a bygone era outside the Gate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:14 pm 

Alastair Macaulay reviews San Francisco Ballet's "Nutcracker" performance at the Friday matinee on December 17, 2010.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:20 pm 

Some further thoughts on the differences between the San Francisco Ballet and Berkeley Ballet Theatre productions.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:06 pm 

I agree with some, not all, of Toba Singer's criticism (the Waltz of the Flowers has the best music and worst choreography of the ballet and the Spanish variation does not look Spanish at all; OTOH the Chinese is the first I've seen that does not make me cringe and I like the views of San Francisco). However, the Grand Pas de Deux with Lorena Feijoo and Victor Luiz was, all by itself, worth the price of a ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:07 pm 

Janos Gereben previews the December 9-27, 2011 performances of Helgi Tomasson's "The Nutcracker" at San Francisco Ballet for the San Francisco Examiner.

SF Examiner

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:30 pm 

Mary Ellen Hunt reviews the Friday, December 9, 2011 opening performance of Helgi Tomasson's "The Nutcracker" for the San Francisco Chronicle.

SF Chronicle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:49 pm 

Geri Jeter reviews the December 9, 2011 opening night of "The Nutcracker" for the California Literary Review.

California Literary Review

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:55 pm 

Sean Martinfield reviews the opening night cast of "The Nutcracker" for the San Francisco Sentinel.

SF Sentinel

Profile E-mail