public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pennsylvania Ballet Nutcracker 2007
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:22 pm 

Pennsylvania Ballet also performs the Balanchine version of Nutcracker. Ellen Dunkel reviews the Friday, December 14, 2007 performance in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Inquirer

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:56 pm 

For anyone that has not seen PAB's new Nutcracker, it is a MUST see this Holiday season. The new sets and costume are absolutely gorgeous and the dancing was better then ever.

I went to the 12pm performance today and the highlights for me were Gabriella Yudenich as Sugar Plum, Barette Vance as Dew Drop and Rebecca Azenberg as Marzipan Shepardess. Even though Gabriella and Barette were making their debuts in these roles one would have thought that they had performed these roles many times over. All three dancers were very confident and technically strong.

Gabriella's rendition of Sugar Plum was both graceful and radiant. She was lovely and lit up the stage as she boureed into the Land of Sweets. Her strength and confidence was apparent as she executed every move with secure technique and elegance.

Barette Vance danced Dew Drop both effortlessly and gracely. Light on her feet, she floated through the air like a feather and seemed to have sustained balance on every move. She appeared etherial and the way she danced through each step demonstrated her extreme musicality.

Demonstrating excellent technique and strength Rebecca Azenberg shined in the role of Marzipan Shepardess. She nailed every turn and jump and gave a charming performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:20 pm 

Thank you, purelyballet...It sounds beautiful. In reading the review, I discovered something. The costume designer is Judanna Lynn. Is this the same Judanna Lynn who danced with Alan Howard's Pacific Ballet in San Francisco during the 60s? It seems she has had a very successful career after her dancing days! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:15 am 

Gina, it's the same Judanna. I first heard about her new career from my brother.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Pennsylvania Ballet New Nutcracker
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:04 pm 

Quote:
I went to the 12pm performance today and the highlights for me were Gabriella Yudenich...

It is nice to read that Ms. Yudenich is following in the footsteps of her parents, Barbara Sandonato and the late Alexei Yudenich who were both leading dancers at Pennsylvania Ballet from the 1960s through the 1980s. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]