public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saturday, April 21: The Body's Limit Conference (Day 1)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:42 pm 

Ideas in Motion: The Body's Limit, 2007 (Day 1) -Overview
At Green Street Studios, 185 Green Street, Cambridge, April 21-22
Visit bostoncyberarts.org for tickets and information

2pm: Johannes Birringer (Germany) Keynote address, exploring current thinking and interpretations of the theme The Body’s Limit in dance and performance today.

3pm: Presentations with demonstrations and video documentation.

* Peter Kirn, former Dance Theater Workshop Artist Resource and Media Lab (DTW Digital ARM) fellow (New York)
* Barbara Bickart, former DTW Digital ARM fellow (New York)
* Jamie Jewett, Brown University
* Norah Zuniga Shaw, Assistant Professor and Director of Dance and Technology, Ohio State University

5pm: Q&A

5:30pm: Intermission/Break

7pm: Evening performances and screening including:

* Dagger by Clarinda Mac Low, former DTW Digital ARM fellow (New York)
* Excerpts from Wonderland by Stefanie Nelson Dance Group (New York) and Nell Breyer (MIT; former DTW Digital ARM fellow)
* eVokability: The Walking Project by Sarah Drury, Temple University
* Every Body Tells a Story by Tony Rizzi, former lead dancer for William Forsythe (USA/Germany)
* Screening of Shake Off by Hans Beenhakker, former lead dancer with Wuppertal Tanztheater (Netherlands)

9pm: Q&A/Roundtable Discussion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:31 pm 

I'm eager to hear how this conference went, especially what people had to ask and say during the Q&A/Roundtable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: First Impressions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:45 pm 

I will write a great deal more tomorrow, but I wanted to put forth some of the ideas that were raised during the first day of the conference. I have not had time to organize these impressions in any conceptual framework, but perhaps we we can work together in the days to come to build a working model for the themes that crop up.

Some questions:

1. How can collaborations between other disciplines inform the collaborative relationship between dance and technology (i.e. how did neuroscience and education theory develop their relationship)?
2. How do we characterize the "post-medium" age we find ourselves in (intermedia, hyrbrid, etc)?
3. What is movement to the computer? How does it read this input and how do we program it to interpret and reframe that input (creating calculated understanding)?
4. How will the interaction of movement and computer-modulated theatrical environment reconfigure dance training?

These questions come of out of Johannes Birringer's keynote address, and I am curious to see if some answers were explored in the evening's performances/Q&A. I look forward to hearing thoughts from those that were there this evening, as well as anyone who would like to weigh in.

Post subject: Photos from Ideas in Motion - by Carl Tashian
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:41 am 

Excerpt from MURDER is a habit that REMORSE cannot cure, a DAGGER-in-progress (performance) by Clarinda Mac Low

Terma
, by Jamie Jewett/Lostwax

Terma, by Jamie Jewett/Lostwax

Sunday's Physical Intelligence roundtable

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]