public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Death of Isadora"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 5:14 pm 

This appeared in the LA Times Calendar review as upcoming for this weekend:<P>There is not link so I am pasting (I hope it works!!) this in: <P><BR> Print this page<P> <BR>Thursday, November 9, 2000<P>PLAN AHEAD: NEXT WEEKEND<P>By Los Angeles Times<P><BR> * Peter Wing Healey performs "The Death of Isadora: Solo Dance Dramas" on Nov. 18 at 8 p.m. in the Los Angeles Theatre Center, 514 S. Spring St., downtown L.A. $6. (213) 485-1681. <BR> <P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "Death of Isadora"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 5:30 pm 

Hmm. Let me guess the props. A Bugati and a long scarf?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 11:38 pm 

A Bugati? With tickets at $6 a shot? You cannot be serious! I'll be surprised if they can run to a scarf!<P>It is fascinating that Duncan, this brilliant soloist, had such an impact on the dance world. And this is despite the accounts that she had little success at ensemble work, her choreography looked uninteresting on other members of her company and there was no legacy as far as technique was concerned.<P>I suppose the key legacy was the idea that you could do performance dance which was not ballet and the concept of expressionistic dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 5:41 am 

Well, a cardboard Bugati. I think that Isadora was around at the right place and the right time. Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated by her and how she was able to make a name for herself in the manner that she did. People like her throughout time have always seemed a phenomenon to me, and I wish I could take myself back in time to study them to see just how it worked for them without the filters of time obscuring some of the reality.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 6:24 am 

I think that the individual powers of a particular artist can transcend time and logic. She obviously had charisma, mystique, and aura - however, you want to express it. The royals of Russia who were used to excellent dance, were quite taken with her dancing. It is probably a quality that could never be captured on film - so we probably have no concept of how she really reached across the footlights. But, we know that she did.

Profile E-mail