public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Folklife Festival-World Music and Dance, Seattle
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 12:06 pm 

Wanted to let everyone know about a wonderful world music and dance festival this past weekend in Seattle called the "Northwest Folklife Fesitval". This was the 30th Anniversary Year!! Druing the four day festival, we saw Tibetan music and dance, classical Indian, reggae music, Korean classical music, Mediterranean gypsy music, (with belly dancer and flamenco dancer!!) numerous drum circles and even one street busker who made and played his own percussion instrument out of tin coffee cans, plastic water cooler bottle, and other "found items" all roped together. Amazing!<BR>To me, the most amazing thing was the Tibetan music and dance. The dance was done in colorful, authentic costume. Men had fur lined hats, long robes with dangling sleeves. The dances were self-accompanied with chanting and the movement mostly involved rhythmic stomping, which interstingly, most reminded me of the Hopi dances on Third Mesa in No. Arizona. <BR>The music ensmble involved cymbals and long horns (many feet long, bell resting on the ground)with low, sonorous chanting. The name of the group was Northwest Tibetan Music and Dance Troupe, based in Portland, OR. They performed for His Holiness the Dalai Lama on his recent trip there. The irony of that performance was that within Tibet, this type of performance is not permitted, due to the current political situation. This troupe is committed to preserving Tibetan culture here in the West.<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited May 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Folklife Festival-World Music and Dance, Seattle
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 3:10 pm 

Trina, this sounds like my idea of heaven! I knew about the festival and was wishing I could attend! auggh well maybe next year! I'm too far away from the area but it sounds so incredible! I would've loved to see the Tibetan dance! I practice Tibetan Buddhism & am really interested in the music traditions of Tibetans but I've never really seen anything on the dance of Tibet! <P>Oh & & I think I read in another forum that you studied Balinese dance? That is something that I really really want to study But there are no Balinese dance teachers in my area, that's one of the things I"m really looking forward to studying at Naropa University and they also offer the opportunity to study the dance & arts of Bali abroad.<P>Thank you for sharing about the festival! Maybe in future years I'll be able to attend! Image<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Folklife Festival-World Music and Dance, Seattle
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 3:26 pm 

Here is the link to a website with wonderful photos of Tibetan Nuns who tour the US performing dance & music of Tibet:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.buddhapia.com/tibet/tibetcen/nun/intro1.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.buddhapia.com/tibet/tibetcen/nun/intro1.html</A> <P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail