public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Year's Eve Astaire-athon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 11:21 am 

Image <P>Turner Classic Movies has scheduled a Fred Astaire marathon for New Year's Eve:<P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/12/27/DD163504.DTL" TARGET=_blank>Dance Into New Year With Fred and Ginger</A></B><BR>Mick LaSalle, SF Chronicle<P>Follow this link to a cool <A HREF="http://thor.prohosting.com/~fame/" TARGET=_blank>Fred Astaire site</A>.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Year's Eve Astaire-athon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 12:56 pm 

One thing you might want to keep in mind while watching Fred and Ginger - is she does just about everything he does - only she does it backwards and in high heels.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 1:21 pm 

I remember Ann Richards used that line at the Democratic Convention. I just received an invitation to a pre-New Year's bash tomorrow night. It's called "Ballet Soiree" and we're told to bring our favorite dish and/or video, and that pointe shoes are optional. Are any of you doing anything dance-related for New Year's (the REAL millenium)? I'm thinking of bringing for my video some footage of Lucinda Ruh. Have any of you seen this ballerina on ice from Switzerland? She is un-earthly!!!!!!!!!!<BR>The most beautiful creature in skates since Katherine Healy (the skater/ballerina/renewed skater) who skated for John Curry and also starred in "Six Weeks" years ago with MTM and Dudley Moore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 1:28 pm 

Christina was it Katherine Healy who performed 'Tango, tango' with John Curry, which was the sparkling highlight of his rather lacklustre ice dance show?<P>If so, I know exactly what you mean about gorgeous!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 1:40 pm 

No, it was JoJo Starbuck, former wife of former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback, Terry Bradshaw. (Oh, allright, I'm a closet NFL junkie too -- growing up with 6 brothers and all that stuff). <P>Katherine Healy was too young. She was only about 11 or 12 when skating for Curry as his prodigy. She was soonafter forced to choose between dance and skating. She danced abroad and wasn't well accepted by her fellow dancers -- again, too much, too young. She then went to Princeton, where she did quite well academically, but again, was not accepted by other students due to her dance/skating/movie background. After dancing in France for a time, she finally decided at around 30 to put her skates back on. An older man was watching her one day and said without knowing anything about her, "You ought to do this professionally." He then became her coach and her husband. I first saw her re-entry into figure skating when she guested in the U.S. Professional Championships about 3 years ago. Dick Button was beside himself with praise for her. <P>I again saw her skate as a guest on a special that Katya put together last winter. This time I had a tape in the VCR. Glorious. I wish she would be much more public. But I also urge people to keep an eye on Lucinda Ruh. She just switched to professional standing, believing she would never be appreciated as an amateur. Her first time out, in front of some very rigid judges, she score 10s artistically.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 1:50 pm 

Thanks Christina - Jo Jo was gorgeous and captured the fun of this tongue in cheek tango delightfully.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 2:34 pm 

Stuart-<BR>As a former professional figure skater and dancer the term lackluster is in the eye of the beholder. :-) <P>Lucinda Ruh is wonderful. A friend of mine worked with her at the sports medicine clinic she worked out and says she's as nice as her skating is beautiful. Cool huh? <P>DH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 3:18 pm 

David, thanks for the input. My entire dance circle is crazy about figure skating, as is my teacher. I've got a quick one to share with you. About 20 years ago, I was working as a feature writer in a position that pretty much allowed me freedom to write as I pleased. On a whim, I showed up at an indoor ice skating rink in a private school where a package deal of 10 or 20 beginning classes was being offered by a man whom I later learned was quite a well respected coach. Telling myself this was just for a story and that since I was in my 20s I wasn't really going to go anywhere with this, I never bothered to get any better equipment than my mom's old skates, which were about the equivalent of skating in cardboard with popsicle sticks attached for blades. I mean, these things were really lame. He suggested that I had reached some strange comfort level with these skates and that perhaps I was afraid I'd be disappointed if I got decent ones and didn't see any improvement. One day, he had a substitute teach. She was instructing us on how to do some arabesques across the length of the ice, and she looked at me, and exclaimed with enthusiasm, "oh, you should get some good skates -- you're going to be REALLY good." Of course, I again thought this was a teacher just being nice to me. I never put on skates again, except every 5 years or so at a public rink for fun. One day, not long ago, I recognized on tv the "really nice teacher" who had suggested I could be "really good." She was none other than U.S. Professional medalist Anita Hartshorn. To this day, do I feel stupid -- how much more encouragement did I need, anyway?<p>[This message has been edited by Christina (edited December 28, 2000).]