public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spanish Dancers-are you out there?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 3:32 pm 

If there are any Spanish dancers out there who could offer me some info.I would much appreciate it! I am thinking of beginning an intensive Spanish Dance course in the summer (for beginners) but have never studied...and am a little nervous about to what expect..The course will include flamenco and Spanish folk dance. Anyhoo..my concern is because Spanish dance is one of those genre's of dance that has completely mystified me my whole life but unfortunately I havn't had a lot of exposure to it (i.e. live performances, no classes etc). One of the elements I notice of flamenco is highly rhythmic feet..and since tap dance is probably the only genre of dance I am absolutely horrid at! I have cause for concern..Please someone either talk me out of this summer and confirm my fears..or reassure me! Image<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Spanish Dancers-are you out there?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:41 pm 

Misa-danseuse, where will you be taking the workshop? The last thing I would do is talk you out of it! I think that you will enjoy the new experience because of the very fact that it has mystified you. <P>I don't think that you will find it terribly complicated, just different. That's what you will have to get used to. I know people who have had very little dance background to begin with take some flamenco classes in a recreational way and took to it very happily.<P>I hope you keep us informed of your studies in this area. I, for one, am very interested. Yes, I did study and perform spanish dance. All aspects.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 10:13 pm 

Thank you Maggie! :-) I am still extremely nervous..for me tap dance is the worst..(not as a dance genre, I meant personal performance) anyway..the idea of similar tap like feet movements coupled w/ the rhythms of castanets is frightening!.. but I'm still planning on taking the course! Perhaps I'll start an online dance journal entitled: Tales of the Spanish dancing clutz!!! Image<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 6:45 am 

I have always wanted to learn how to use castenets - how exciting!! I adore Spanish dancing - flamenco. I have also wanted to learn how to dance with a fan.<P>Once I had to dance with a tamborine - and found that surprisingly difficult - fun but difficult. <P>Tell us all about the workshop, Misa - enjoy it !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 5:55 am 

Did you know that the castanet in the left hand is the male castanet, and the castanet in the right hand is the female castanet?

Profile E-mail