public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strictly Ballroom
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 9:58 am 

From the Chicago Sun Times:<P><B>Strictly ballroom</B><P>October 21, 2001<P>SARA FIEDELHOLTZ staff reporter<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The shine, shimmer, glitz and glam were out in full force Oct. 14, as couples competed in American and international styles of such dances as the cha-cha, bolero, swing, jive, fox trot, waltz and rumba.<P>For 38 years, professional and amateur dance contestants have journeyed to Chicago to compete in ballroom dancing. This year's Harvest Moon Ball Championship, held at the Radisson Hotel O'Hare, drew more than 1,500 people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.suntimes.com/output/show/sho-sunday-harv21.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Strictly Ballroom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 11:55 pm 

Political correctness going too far!<P>Article in The Edinburgh Evening News<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>IT was meant to be a fun way to get some exercise and make new friends for the young at heart. <P>But a visit to a ballroom dance class - made famous by the hit film Strictly Ballroom - turned sour when several "single" women were barred from dancing because they did not have a male partner<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.edinburghnews.com/news.cfm?id=EN01179737&rware=JAVBLUGMVAJV&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=2" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A><P>In all the time I took ballroom dance lessons I have never heard of anything like this happening. Has anyone else heard of this? What do you think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 8:26 am 

I think it's outrageous. A friend of mine in Germany helps to organise Seniorentanz - folk and ballroom dance for Seniors. The city of 120,000 where she lives has around 5 of these classes. If this rule was implemented in Germany there would be no such classes whatsoever. All over the world, most dance classes have a majority of women in them.<P>I would have thought that a chat with the local Trading Standards Officer would have been a good idea. People paid good money to dance and were not given the chance to do so. I'm pleased that this 'teacher' is getting so much bad publicity.<P>I'm surprised at your heading Joanne, as I would have thought that this was a very 'traditional' approach rather than a politically correct view. I associate this latter term with thinking in which women are not subject to traditional exploitation.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 9:11 am 

Stuart I agree it is outrageous and all the ballroom dance schools that I have attended would be out of business if they adopted this policy - women always out number the men and the men that could really dance well always had busy evenings at the classes.<P>Interesting thought though - don't know whether this is still true, but I heard a few years ago that teaching exams for ballroom and latin dance require the women to be able to dance and demonstrate the men's steps but the men didn't have to do the ladies steps in as much detail. Don't know how true this is - anyone know?<P>My heading was wrong- traditional is a better word (thinking in a hurry this morning - brain made totally the wrong connection). However I don't think that ladies only dancing with men can be classed as a tradition as for so long the women have out numbered the men.<P>As I have said before -dance teachers can be a funny lot!<p>[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited October 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:33 pm 

Well, we had to study ISTD ballroom on the RAD teacher's course, and I carried on to Associate level (didn't take the exam in the event though).<P>Yes, you have to learn the man's part first and foremost.<P>As a result, I am incapable of dancing with a man, as I always want to lead.<BR>Absolutely true!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:50 pm 

This is interesting....if dance often comes from folk dance....well, in much of folk dance men and women are forbidden to dance together. Or, when they do so, it is often done very carefully, sometimes each one holding a handkerchief so they don't actually touch one another. Even in ballet there was originally little touching and lifting - that is, when women were finally allowed to dance at all.<P>This seems to have come full circle, saying that women can only dance with men.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:51 pm 

Very true Basheva. I am working on Fiddler on the Roof at the moment and part of that has to do with the fact that Perchik dances with Hodel and they are not married - something that was unheard of then. <P>I think the awful part about this story also is that it must have taken a lot of courage for those women to go along to the classes on their own in the first place. To then be humiliated and treated in such a hostile manner is enough to put them off dance for life. Mr ball needs a human relations and tact course quick.<p>[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited October 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail