public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urban Tap
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:11 pm 

From the Sarasota Herald-Tribune:

Quote:
Expect the unexpected at the Urban Tap performance Thursday.

Actually, artistic director Tamango would prefer that you have no expectations at all.

"I don't really like expectation, as a philosophy of life," he said in a telephone interview, "because everything is subject to change, especially my type of work. Because when you work with improvisation, I just want to grow all the time. So I just expect people to just watch and not expect anything that they know. For me, art is definitely about just being open to see and to receive."
More

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Urban Tap
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:37 pm 

In the Philadelphia Daily News:

Quote:
'CYCLE' ON TAP AT PERELMAN

Tom Di Nardo

Tap is to dance what jazz is to music, an art form necessarily improvised on the spot. <a href=http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/living/5272817.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:53 pm 

A review in Philly:

Quote:
Smooth Urban Tap at Kimmel Center

By Merilyn Jackson
For The Philadelphia Inquirer

When the world dance and music company Urban Tap performed Full Cycle this weekend at the Kimmel Center's Perelman Theater, it looked neither urban nor tap - at least not American inner-city tap. <a href=http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/5308970.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:00 am 

And a review from Lewis Whittington here on Critical Dance:
Quote:
Tamango's first solo begins with familiar enough time-steps, side-slides, heal-scuffs and arrests, but soon taps a different terrain, instructing the audience not to be dazzled by those familiar dazzling phrases.

"I'm still working" he says, "This is a musical journey," holding up his hand to prevent applause at what he knows is the easy stuff. He immediate creates an intimate atmosphere of reflection that unfolds into a freewheeling, and sometimes jarring, improvisational rhythm and dance jam session.
MORE

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:35 am 

Quote:
Tamango Comes 'Full Cycle' With Tap, Hip-Hop, Jazz

By Judy Magid
The Salt Lake Tribune

Choreographer/tap dancer Tamango and Tamango Urban Tap group bring a new performance, "Full Cycle," to Kingsbury Hall this weekend in a dazzling fusion of tap, hip-hop, Brazilian capoeira (martial arts/acrobatics) and jazz. <a href=http://www.sltrib.com/2003/apr/04082003/tuesday/45941.asp target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Tamango
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:03 am 

Quote:
Cultural Grafting
by DEBORAH JOWITT for the Village Voice
published: April 4, 2007

... he [Tamango] has tried to bring his Creole heritage and its African roots into tapping. Mostly, as in his most recent show, Bay Mo Dilo (Give Me Water), that means incorporating musicians not usually associated with tap, like Eric Danquin and Daniel Doulos from Guadaloupe and “Bonga” Gaston Jean-Baptiste from Haiti. The remarkable Vado Diomande offers the acrobatic stilt dancing associated with West African ritual (have you ever imagined you’d see a masked figure nine feet high do a somersault as a preparation for standing erect?).
more...

Profile E-mail