public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Men's dancewear for folk?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 5:43 am 

Can anyone help me. I have a folk dancing class this week and I am wondering what guys normally wear for folk dancing as I have never done it before.<P>Thanks,<P>------------------<BR>Nigel McBain

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Men's dancewear for folk?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:45 am 

Hello Nigel - I have never taken a folk dancing class, but I have observed it. The men wore non baggy sweat pants and a t-shirt. Some were in character boots and several were in ballet slippers. <P>Hopefully, Christina will see this post - or others more knowledgeable than I - and help you out a bit more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:41 pm 

Hello Nigel.<P>You did not say what type of folk dancing you are doing, or what type of floor. If you have folk dancing leather boots, by all means bring them. Bring ballet slippers too, but keep in mind that folk dancing can be hard on the heels, so you may even want to bring along some sneakers (whatever kind of running shoe you may have). If this is a pretty informal class, you could get away with this, if you find that your feet are taking a beating in ballet slippers and you have no character boots. The most important thing is to be comfortable.<P>I strongly suggest bringing a couple of extra T-shirts (100% cotton). Folk dancing is very rigorous, and you will appreciate being able to get out of one sweaty shirt and into a dry one. Your fellow dancers, particularly the women, will also appreciate this. It can be very distressing to do partner work with a man who is soaking wet. And yes, this happens quite a bit. A sweat band for your hair, if it is not real short, is also good for this reason as well.<P>Regarding pants: loose pants (can be sweats, or ripstop nylon, etc.) over dance belt. Or, depending on the clime, you may even opt for comfortable shorts. <P>Bring a sweatshirt or some other overlayer for in between so you don't get chilled. Sometimes there are not even numbers of people, and you may sit one out and watch, etc. I like to bring a big flannel shirt -- comes off and on easily and pocket holds money for soft drink change, although, if you're smart, you will probably bring some small bottles of water.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 9:34 pm 

Dear Basheva and Christina,<P>Thankyou very much for your helpful advice. I will take it on board.<P>Thanks,<P>Nigel<P>------------------<BR>Nigel McBain

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 11:44 pm 

Is a dance belt a souped-up jock strap or are they the same thing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 7:10 am 

To my knoweldge - it is the same thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 7:11 am 

LOL - souped up?????? sorry that just hit me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 8:57 am 

Yes, well - thanks for the clarification. I've wondered about those things for years. There's mostly just girls in our group, so I've haven't had much exposure to those particular items.

Profile E-mail