public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Producers (Stage & Screen)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:03 am 

Quote:
The Producers

By ANDREW MASTERSON
The Australian
March 27, 2004

WHEN Mel Brooks released his first film, The Producers, in 1968, initial reactions were not good. Writing in The New York Times a couple of years ago, Brooks recalled his response to the critical and box-office drubbing.

"I nearly gave up show business and was seriously going back to college," he wrote. "I figured, become a pharmacist and open a little drugstore back in Williamsburg."
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:04 am 

Springtime for Mel
Ultimate comic zings showbiz in 'The Producers'
By WENDELL BROCK for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Mel Brooks is remembering his first musical. It was Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" with Ethel Merman. He was 9 years old.

"I'll never forget all those gorgeous songs and those gorgeous lyrics — 'You're the Top' and 'All Through the Night,' " says the 77-year-old Brooks. "And I said to my Uncle Joe, who took me there, I said, 'Uncle Joe, when I grow up, that's what I want to do. I just want to write songs.' And I did. I got to write them."

But Uncle Joe probably never imagined that his Jewish nephew from Brooklyn would create a smash hit called "The Producers," in which a crafty impresario named Max Bialystock stages a musical that glorifies a gay Fuehrer.

"Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party," goes the anthem "Springtime for Hitler."

click for more

Committing musical comedy in the first degree
'Producers' arrives at Fox for two-week run
By WENDELL BROCK for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Your honor, we the ladies and gentlemen of the jury find the defendant, Mel Brooks, guilty as charged. In creating "The Producers," he has committed musical comedy of the first degree and is to be sentenced to life on Broadway without the possibility of parole.

Three years after this verdict was handed down in the form of a record 12 Tony Awards, justice is finally being served at the Fox Theatre, where Brooks' raunchy and ridiculous showbiz sendup arrived Tuesday for a two-week run.
The good news is that the tale of Broadway con artists Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom holds up well under the rigorous hard labor of a national tour. Though Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick remain America's most wanted comedic accomplices, Lewis J. Stadlen and Alan Ruck have preserved the letter and spirit of Brooks' rip-roaring, leg-baring, politically irreverent burlesque.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:04 am 

Quote:
Producing history

By CHRIS BECK
The Age
April 3, 2004

When Reg Livermore was considering the part of the scheming Max Bialystock in The Producers, he watched a pirated video of the Broadway performance, starring Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, in his lounge room.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:13 am 

Quote:
Gotta sing, gotta dance

By JOHN MANGAN
The Age
April 16, 2004

In The Man from Snowy River he had to learn how to ride a horse. For his one-man show, Frank - A Life in Song, he eerily mastered the voice and presence of Frank Sinatra. Now, for The Producers, Tom Burlinson has to push the envelope yet again, this time as Leo Bloom, the hysterically timid accountant originally played by Gene Wilder.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:31 am 

Quote:
Springtime blooms for Mel

By JO ROBERTS
The Age
April 15, 2004

You would have to feel hard done by. You get a role in "the greatest musical ever made", you dance and sing up a storm for a media gaggle, but as soon as a little Jewish guy walks out onstage, you are as good as invisible.

OK, maybe not quite. But as much as Melbourne has been looking forward to the Broadway-conquering musical, The Producers, yesterday it was the show's creator, 77-year-old Mel Brooks, that everyone was most eager to see during a sneak preview before Saturday night's official opening at the Princess Theatre.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:46 am 

Quote:
What Mel Brooks did when he grew up

By WENDELL BROCK
The Sydney Morning Herald
April 15, 2004

Mel Brooks is remembering his first musical. It was Cole Porter's Anything Goes with Ethel Merman. He was nine years old.

"I'll never forget all those gorgeous songs and those gorgeous lyrics - You're the Top and All through the Night," says the 77-year-old Brooks. "And I said to my Uncle Joe, who took me there ... 'when I grow up, that's what I want to do. I just want to write songs.' And I did."
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:48 am 

Quote:
Mel Brooks has ways of making us laugh

By JO ROBERTS
April 15, 2004

It's a hard task to upstage Bert Newton. But a short, Jewish-American showbusiness legend spruiking a musical about Hitler can be relied on to do his best.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:48 pm 

Quote:
'What on earth had I been so worried about?'

The Age
April 24, 2004

Last week The Producers opened in Melbourne. Reg Livermore, who plays Max Bialystock, kept this insider's diary of the events leading up to the big night.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:15 am 

A super rehearsal diary that, in true Aussie style, doesn't pull punches.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:17 pm 

Quote:
The Producers, Melbourne

By BRYCE HALLETT
April 19, 2004

In the role created for Nathan Lane on Broadway - in the not inconsiderable footsteps of Zero Mostel in Mel Brooks's 1968 cult film - Livermore gets the insistent tune The King of Broadway across with gusto and defiance.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:17 am 

Quote:
Autumn for The Producers in Sydney

By VALERIE LAWSON
August 26, 2004

The musical, written by Mel Brooks and directed by Susan Stroman, has been playing to 80 per cent houses through winter in Melbourne, after opening in the Princess Theatre last April.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:17 pm 

Quote:
Dreyfuss feels the strain of song and dance

by MAEV KENNEDY
The Guardian

Mr Dreyfuss does not sing, or dance. "It's not the dancing as such I'm worried about," he said, faintly. "It's the knees, ankles, hips, elbows, ribs that I'm worrying about. It will be fine. It will be a platonic ideal of dance. Should I take out an ad, just before the opening, saying 'please do not think you are paying good money to see me dance'?"
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:45 am 

Dreyfuss quits show
Oscar-winning blames physical demands of role after pulling out of West End comedy
By Simon Freeman for The Times

THE actor Richard Dreyfuss has pulled out of his leading role in the West End show The Producers just days before the opening night.

The 56-year-old American walked out of the £5.5 million production a week after saying in a television interview that the show was not ready to be put before an audience.

Its producers last night gave health reasons for his sudden departure.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:04 am 

Quote:
'All I've ever felt on stage is pain'

By JASPER REES
The Daily Telegraph
October 25, 2004

Just days before the first West End performance of 'The Producers', Lee Evans – taking on his first toe-and-tune role – found himself without a co-star when Richard Dreyfuss quit the production. Here Evans tells Jasper Rees of his relief when the replacement turned out to be an old friend.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:19 pm 

The Producers
Uncredited from The Times

When Mel Brooks’s musical The Producers opens in London this month, audiences will see not just the Broadway show that has won the most Tony Awards ever (12), but one of the best examples so far of a galloping trend: the movement toward fashioning stage musicals out of films. For this particular theatre version, Lee Evans and Richard Dreyfuss play the eponymous producers, inheriting the roles of the Broadway hucksters originated in the 1968 film by Gene Wilder and the late Zero Mostel.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next