public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White Christmas
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:50 am 

I saw this on Tuesday. A lovely feel good show with some damn good tapping and lots of familiar songs. I recommend it as an alternative to Nutcracker and A Christmas Carol.

From the SF Chronicle.

Quote:
It's early, but a bit of Christmas cheer never hurts. Especially when the songs are written by Berlin.
Robert Hurwitt, Chronicle Theater Critic

Christmas arrived early at the Curran Theatre on Tuesday. Most of us haven't recovered from Halloween yet, let alone geared up for Thanksgiving. But when the gift is as sweetly wrapped and as packed with melodic delights as "Irving Berlin's White Christmas," a premature present couldn't be more welcome. We could all use some heart-warming in these dark times.
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: It's back.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 pm 

A co-worker saw this last weekend. Still a great feel good show.

From the Contra Costa Times.

Quote:
PAT CRAIG: ONE HAND CLAPPING

'White Christmas' is a warm holiday treat

WHAT YOU MUST understand is just how much of a family tradition "White Christmas" is in my family.

For as long as I can remember, the Christmas season would officially start only after we had gathered in front of the glowing warmth of the television screen to watch the 1954 Bing Crosby/Danny Kaye film, while stuffing ourselves with See's chocolates and mugs of eggnog.

During our younger years, I remember my sister and I believing Crosby and Kaye were actually two of the Three Wise Men, as we developed an almost spiritual devotion to "White Christmas." In later years, my sister actually ditched school one day when Dean Jagger (General Waverly in the film) spoke to my college drama class.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:12 am 

"White Christmas" is coming to Boston this year. For some reason, maybe because it is an original show (OK, based on the movie but you know what I mean...), this isn't nearly as upsetting as having the Rockettes road show in the Wang. Of course it helps that in the Opera House Boston Ballet has a decent venue for Nutcracker.

From Iris Fange in the Boston Phoenix:
Quote:
Snow job
White Christmas moves into the Wang
“There’s a dearth of new material for the road,” says Josiah A. Spaulding, president and CEO of the Wang Center for the Performing Arts. “We need to create quality product for the big stage, like the one we have here. I saw the show in San Francisco and loved it.” Subsequently the Wang and St. Paul’s Ordway Center for the Performing Arts teamed up to buy the sets and costumes from San Francisco and share presentation of White Christmas in alternate years.

More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:54 am 

A couple of reviews from the Boston papers, with differing opinions.

From Robert Nesti in the Boston Herald:
Quote:
‘Berlin’s White Christmas’ an instant smash
If you need a good jolt of holiday spirit, or just some unpretentious fun, look no further than “Irving Berlin’s White Christmas,” the new-fangled, old-fashioned jukebox musical culled from the popular 1954 Bing Crosby-Danny Kaye film.
The dance numbers, staged by Randy Skinner, are big and brash in the style of “42nd Street,” not a bad model to follow.

More....

And from Louise Kennedy in the Boston Globe:
Quote:
‘Christmas’ cools onstage
Irving Berlin musical could use some of movie’s charm

....White Christmas” could make the transition from screen to stage, couldn’t it?

It could, probably, and there are moments in the production that opened last night at the Wang Theatre when it does. It has some terrific dancing (despite too much bland, clumpy choreography), a few truly beautiful moments of singing, and plenty of technical razzmatazz -- up to and including snow.

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2005/12/01/christmas_cools_onstage/More....

Post subject: More about the show...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:29 pm 

From the Contra Costa Times.

Quote:
Theater fans dreaming of 'White Christmas'

THE STAGE VERSION of "White Christmas" has opened again in San Francisco.

You may recall that the theatrical adaptation of the 1954 film premiered in San Francisco last year to great reviews and even better ticket sales. It was so successful that this year, they have added productions in Los Angeles and Boston.

Then the cast began singing the classic title song, and they did a not-so-bad rendition of it. And then the audience started singing along, just like the soldiers do at the end of the movie. Hundreds of people suddenly became a choir singing the most mellow, heartfelt and comforting music I had heard all season. I started to cry.

more...

Profile E-mail