public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Colorado Dance Festival's 19th Season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2000 4:42 am 

The Colorado Dance Festival started it's 19th season today, Sunday July 2. CDF has always focused on out of the mainstream dance due to it's founder, Marda Kirn's vision of staying off the beaten path.<P>In spite of drawing 400 students to participate in classes offered, and an audience of 5000 for the performances, CDF suffered financial difficulties last year. With new grants and fundraising efforts it is back on it's feet (so to speak)<P>African, Native American, and Latin, and Asian dance forms are emphasized. There is a decidedly contemporary approach to many of these. Kirn, a onetime student of Joseph Campbell, was encouraged to take the road less travelled in her vision, and Deborah Jowitt, Village Voice dance critic urged her to launch the dance festival in 1982.<P>The Colorado Dance Festival helped boost the worldwide tap revival beginning with the 1986 CDF "Tap Reunion" series continuing in 1987 and 1989.<P>Classes are offered in many of the presented dance forms by 30 teachers from five continents.<P>Some of the performers include: Robert Moses, the Paris based Compagnie Nakissa, and Rosanna Gamson.<BR>visit the CDF website at <A HREF="http://www.cdf-dance.org" TARGET=_blank>www.cdf-dance.org</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Colorado Dance Festival's 19th Season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2000 5:45 am 

thanks maggie. <P>i looked at the site: they have quite an unusual program of classes and workshops, don't they?<P>as you say: the path less travelled!<P>i wish they had some photos at that site!<P>you'd think with 400 students taking classes, and 5000 audience-members, they could have covered costs just fine...have you any idea what, in particular, blew the costs out, so much beyond the takings?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2000 6:07 am 

I agree, Grace, a picture is worth a thousand words, and would save me typing that many!<P>Their financial difficulties are due to several factors. Their last seasons ticket sales didn't reach their projection. Additionally, a diminished federal arts budget, and declining corporate and individual donations also affected them. The usual cyclical shifts in private grants organizations and the lack of a permanent endowment put additional financial pressure on the festival.<P>They have since had some mighty fund-raising efforts going on, and they're programming into 2002.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2000 9:39 am 

Oh, my, I wish I could be there for this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Aerial Dance Festival Performances<P>July 28-30, 2000<P>Aerial fabric…Bungies…Low-flying trapezes…Aerial harnesses…Climbing wall…and Flying Poles.<P> <A HREF="http://www.cdf-dance.org/AerialPerformance.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cdf-dance.org/AerialPerformance.htm</A> <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>And I see you'll be treated to Robert Moses' KIN. Moses is a very sensual jazzy dancer; I'm sure Coloradans will enjoy his company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2000 9:40 am 

There may not be photos but here's their logo:<P><BR> Image

Profile E-mail