It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jennifer Muller/The Works
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:31 am 

Quote:
The Advantages of Loving, Praying and Staying Strong

By JENNIFER DUNNING
NY Times

Jennifer Muller/The Works packed a lot of celebratory events and people into the company's gala at the New Victory Theater last Wednesday night. <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/28/arts/dance/28MULL.html target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jennifer Muller/The Works
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:05 pm 

I am S0 ecstatic that Jennifer Muller is celebrating the 28 yr. annniversary of her company. Her work has always been amongst the most stunning, sexy work in the modern genre. In the mode of Louis Falco, whom Ms. Muller also danced with, Muller's company has always been known as a "dancer's company". Such legendary dancers as Angie Wolf, Christopher Pilafian (I thought of them as the "dynamic duo" as there was nothing they couldn't do, including defy gravity; they were just FEARLESS and gorgeous movers)and the now-famous choreographer Ron Brown danced in Muller's company. Trained at Juilliard and known as a Limon dancer, Jennifer Muller has always had a stellar reputation. The company has toured both here and abroad. I think my favorite piece of hers was called "Lovers", and featured 4 or five consecutive duets. It was based on, or rather inspired by, the painting of Gustave Klimt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:19 am 

Trina,
Jennifer Muller/The Works is my favorite East Coast company. I too find her work very sexy yet never offensive---like one or two choregraphers I have often found vulgar while trying to be sexy. I became a fan after a Morristown, NJ, "First Night", and have since tried to catch every Jersey and Joyce performance. Once I retire I would love to volunteer in either promotion or fund raising for her company.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:27 pm 

Wroginski, thanks so much for the response! I wasn't aware that the company did seasons at the Joyce; I didn't think they were that active in the New York area; I was under the impression that they toured quite a bit abroad! What kind of rep are they doing these days? Can you mention any favorites of yours? :D

<small>[ 29 May 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: trina ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:19 am 

Quote:
Taking Cues From Flowers and Sufi Ecstasies

By JACK ANDERSON
The New York Times
June 18, 2004

Jennifer Muller offered some vivid dances on Tuesday night when her company, Jennifer Muller/The Works, presented a gala program at the Joyce Theater. Ms. Muller's company remains through tomorrow night at the theater, at 175 Eighth Avenue at 19th Street, Chelsea.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:43 am 

Quote:
Jennifer Muller's Handsome Performers Animate Easy-Watching Dance

By TOBI TOBIAS
The Village Voice
July 13, 2004

Muller's brand-new Flowers lulls the viewer with trips into one lush landscape after another, where powerful, fluent, and downright gorgeous dancers perform hypnotic rituals...
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:47 pm 

Brava!! Ms. Muller appears to have remained a romantic, in the distinctly "un-romantic" world of modern/contemporary dance. Long may she wave!! :D

Profile E-mail