public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:37 am 

Well, as well you know if I had had the opportunity to see it live, I would have written loads of comments :wink: If only it had lasted one more week....

How about everyone else? What are your thoughts? Did you like the show, why do you think it closed early, was attendance poor at the performances in your area?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:46 am 

'Swan Lake' Cancels Warner Run
By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, April 22, 2006; Page C03

Quote:
Could it be that East Coast audiences are stodgier than those who enthusiastically received the show in Los Angeles and San Francisco? Gentry wouldn't speculate. "It's really hard to know" why a show does well in one market and not another, he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/21/AR2006042101783.html

I'm not stodgy :!: , I also had tickets to both the DC and Baltimore shows. But in general, especially in the current political climate, I would say that audiences in the DC area are conservative (I am trying to be polite here!).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: MB SW reviews
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:48 am 
I think the world has been posting at the tour blog. It's a good read. See "General Discussion" blog at www.swanlaketour.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 am 

In the Boston Phoenix Jeffrey Gantz comments on Bourne's Swan Lake partway through the article:
Quote:
Measure for measure
One modern composer who had the measure of dance was Tchaikovsky, in his ballets, of course, but also in his symphonic music, which has been plundered by choreographers as diverse as George Balanchine, John Cranko, and Boris Eifman. His Symphony No. 5 survived Eifman’s Tchaikovsky and his Nutcracker Mark Morris’s The Hard Nut, so no surprise that Swan Lake comfortably accommodates the Matthew Bourne reimagining, in which all the swans are male.

More from Gantz...

and Marcia Siegel also comments on the production:
Quote:
Back story
Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake

The English choreographer Matthew Bourne isn’t the first to propose an Oedipal dimension for Swan Lake. Any ballet that old and that popular is fair game for reinterpretation. ....
Bourne’s retelling backs off from these old-fashioned æsthetics and focuses instead on the social and political implications of a degenerate monarchy, and the consequences of sexual repression. The whole production is beautifully designed and theatrically satisfying.
More from Siegel...

Post subject: Swan Lake in Australia
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:22 am 

Quote:
The Hot Seat: Matthew Bourne
by VALERIE LAWSON for the Sydney Morning Herald

After its four-city tour here the production will travel to Russia, completing a neat cycle in Swan Lake's history. First performed in Moscow in 1877, the ballet migrated in numerous versions across the world. By the mid-20th century, it had become the world's best known and most loved ballet. Bourne's interpretation is not so much a ballet as it is musical theatre, blending modern dance, humour and mime.

published: August 26, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Whitehead and Hart in Bourne's Swan Lake as Swan and Prince
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:54 am 

This is an inside scoop:

Royal Ballet Soloist Thomas Whitehead and former Royal Ballet Soloist Matthew Hart have joined Matthew Bourne's New Adventures production of Swan Lake for the upcoming Paris and London runs. Whitehead will share the role of The Swan/Stranger with Alan Vincent and Hart will share the role of The Prince with Simon Williams. Saranne Curtin and Nina Goldman will share the role of The Queen.

After London the production will make its debut in Greece, Australia and Russia.

The entire press release and additional information can be found at www.matthewbourne.org under the September 6th posting.

Dani :D :D :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:29 am 

Thanks for this hot-off-the-press info, Dani. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Matthew Hart in the excellent "Swan Lake"as he remains one of the foremost actor/dancers in the UK and New Adventures should be a good berth for him.

Profile E-mail