public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: John Malashock's 'Together in the Fires of Delight'
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 11:47 am 

Image <BR>John Malashock<P>Sounds like a very interesting work from the John Malashock Dance & Company:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B><A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/001205/ca_malasho.html" TARGET=_blank>Malashock at the Globe</A></B><BR>``Together in the Fires of Delight'' -- January 19/20, 26/27, 2001<BR>SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 5, 2000--John Malashock will debut his new work Together in the Fires of Delight with four performances at the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego's Balboa Park on January 19/20 and 26/27, 2001. <P>``Together in the Fires of Delight'' is a multi-disciplinary, multi-sensual portrayal of primary relationships through language, dance, music and song featuring duets of fathers/sons, sisters/brothers, mothers/daughters, spouses/lovers, and friends/enemies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/001205/ca_malasho.html" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: John Malashock's 'Together in the Fires of Delight'
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 4:56 pm 

Malashock and his dance company has been here for many years in San Diego. Was this article in the San Diego Union and I missed it? <P>I must have been watching too much election news lately......my reading is suffering....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 5:44 pm 

No, Basheva, I got it from a different source...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 11:25 am 

Wasn't Malashock a dancer in Twyla Tharp's company for many years? When she was still doing "modern" dance (now I think her work is more balletic?). I think he has been based in San Diego for a while...Basheva might know?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 4:36 pm 

Yes, Trina, you have a good memory. From the <A HREF="http://www.malashockdance.org/" TARGET=_blank>Malashock web site</A>:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>John Malashock brings over twenty years of experience in the dance and theatre field to his current endeavors as Artistic Director of Malashock Dance & Company, where he has created nearly 30 original choreographic works. He founded Malashock Dance & Company in 1988 after a distinguished performing career with Twyla Tharp Dance in New York and with other companies. John continues his performing and choreographic career with the Company and engages in numerous independent projects. <P>John obtained his Bachelors degree in dance in 1975, after which he performed and choreographed with the Utah Repertory Dance Theatre. There he worked with such distinguished choreographers as Lar Lubovitch, Anna Sokolow, Donald McKayle, and Jennifer Muller. Following several years in Utah, John worked in Europe with the Paris-based Ballet Blaska and performed as a guest artist with many other companies. With the Tharp Company, John performed worldwide, was featured in numerous television specials (Dance in America, The Catherine Wheel, Twyla Tharp Scrapbook), appeared in the Academy Award-winning film Amadeus, and performed in benefit concerts with Baryshnikov and Cynthia Gregory.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 4:59 pm 

Yes, Malaschock has been here in San Diego for many years. I have to admit I have never gone to see the company though modern dancers have told me he is very good. <P>Since modern dance is not something I have any knowledge of - I haven't gone. (Ducking as the bricks coming flying in!!)<P>If this board wants me to go - and gets me tickets - I will go and tell you what I see.

Profile E-mail